TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Excessive break pads wear on the Track

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Excessive break pads wear on the Track

I drive a 2005 Automatic Front wheel 1.8T TT.

I track my car at DE. My OEM pads use to last me 4 track weekends (8 track days). However, my front pads (Mintex Red Box) has only lasted me 3.25 track days (2 days at Roebling Road) DE & 1.25 days at Road Atlanta DE) and was only put on 3 and a half months prior. I then replaced my front pads with Wagner pads (bought from Auto Zone close to Road Atlanta), and it used up half of the pads after 4 thirty minutes sessions (1 track day). My rear Mintex Red Box were gone after 3.5 track events, replaced them with OEM pads, and I went through a fresh set completely only after only 2 full sessions(1/2 track day). That just seem abnormal to me.

The only difference that I have made to my car at the same time started the excessive pads wear were changing from Pirelli P6 (all seasons tires) to Dunlop Star Specs(Auto Cross Summer tires). I am guessing having Star Specs gave a little bit more pads wear, but not at the rate that I'm chewing it up. I also have my ESP turned on on the track, and that will contribute to the pads wear as well. However, I have always had ESP turned on, so it doesn't explain the recent excessive pads wear.

For the most recent track event, I changed the combination to ATE slotted front rotors with EBC Yellow Stuff pads(HP/S), with solid centric rotors and Yellow Stuff for the rear. However, I still went through 1/4 of the front pads and 1/2 of the rear pads with in 2 track days. I was at Roebling Road, very flat, should not have been that much pads wear.

Does anyone have any insight to my excessive pads wear on the track? Do you experience the same pads wear on the track? I drive my car hard and break hard on the track, can anyone suggest me a good pads-rotor combination for my TT on the track? Do you all go through your rear pads faster than front pads? One Audi mechanic has told me that the brake bias is 60:40=Front: Rear. However, I always go through my rear faster than my front. Do you have the same experience?
Old 05-12-2010, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it's from your tires!! you're carrying WAY more speed than on a P7 A/S tires!! you're coming out of the corners faster, having more speed at the end of the straight and able to go in hotter. ALL that is needing more brakes. you're also more skilled than you used to be and i'd bet would be harder on your pads w/ your P7s back on. try this, drop your speed 5mph everywhere on the track and look how little you need brakes! you really need a FULL track pad set up! they'll deal with the heat better and not wear so fast.