TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Fender bender nightmare...Need Help!!!!!

Old 08-10-2002, 10:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fender bender nightmare...Need Help!!!!!

Hi everyone,

Some idiot backed up into my right fender on my TT. The fender was the only area affected but the body shops want to replace the fender and paint it(they are black when order brand new), paint the bumper, and the door to "blend it in". That seems like a perfect occasion for them to mess up my car.

About a year ago, my previous TT (180 roadster) was side swiped and the side door was scrathed. No biggie.
They repainted the entire right side and the trunk to "blend it in". It didn't match! Now this is a car that I had taken back to the dealer who recommended a body shop that was supposedly reputable. It seems that this color is very hard to match if the paint is not obtained directly from the factory.

I was so disguted by the botched job that I simply sold the car and traded up to the 225 roadster which was faster anyway and had quattro.

I have seen a job on a brand new A4 that was keyed
on both sides as I was shopping around for a shop to repair the damage. The paint job was well done at one of the best shops around town but the color still didn't match perfectly.

I would hate to see that happen to my baby.
I rather skip getting that headache this time around.

Does anyone know of any salvage or body parts place where I can find an already painted Lake silver metallic fender for the TT that I can use to replace the damaged one that I currently have?
Anyone selling a right fender in that color by any chance?
I figure that machines paint the TT's at the factory therefore the painted parts should always fit nearly perfectly on any vehicle.

Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-10-2002, 11:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Blending.

I wouldnt recommend hopeing to find a fender that matches from a boneyard. Even if it is the same model year and month as your car, the blend of paint that day can and usually does make a difference. This shadowy difference shows up most prominantly on lighter colors because more 'data' gets reflected back to the eye, which is also why they wish to blend the other panels.

If you feel strongly that you do not want the job blended, then ask the shop just to shoot the fender, and be done with it, this will afford your the closest match vs. finding a fender that might match. The quality of the shop comes into play here. Take a look around, do you see any other high priced cars being painted there?
All is not lost though.

I understand your reluctance to have the shop blend in additional panels on your car, it would not be my first choice either, especially the bumper cover. Bumpercovers are problems for painters especially when they are replacments (never been painted).

Good Luck! -CartoonDog.
Old 08-11-2002, 01:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Fender cover replacement

The dealer here in Asheville had to replace and paint mine. I was satisfied with the job. If there is any difference, I can't tell it.

Steve 2000TTQC silver/grey