TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

The fershlugginer "Check Engine" light...

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2001, 08:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The fershlugginer "Check Engine" light...

...decided to come on yesterday as I took my baby out for her first exercise run in 10 days. (I know, I know -- I'm a bad daddy. But I was on travel). The light stayed on, though nothing untoward happened for the 15 or so miles I added to her odometer.

The last time this happened, Audi had to replace the recirculation valve on the infinite improbability drive (a lovely metal doohickey replacing a rather embarassed plastic thingie). So that's probably not the problem. I can't get the girl serviced until two Wednesdays from now, so here are my questions:

1) Is she safe to drive between now and next Wednesday?

2) Any theories on what the problem might be?

3) My car has a whopping 5400 miles on her after a year of good lovin'. Has anyone else experienced these sorts of temper tantrums? Is my car simply annoyed with me that I haven't driven her more?

Thanks in advance for the insights.
Old 07-15-2001, 08:52 AM
Elder Member

Default I like your style! Great color choice, too... I say ignore all warnings and such...

I tend to think of them as mere "suggestions," anyway.... But, then again I wouldn't listen to me regarding any subject mechanical, were I you. Actually, that applies to most subjects, just particularly this... Have I told you my theory on Mr. Haldex (smallish gnome-like man who lives in a compartment under the backseat and is in charge of our "quattro" system)??? If not, I will at some future point, I assure you it is quite enlightening!

Clearly, your little Raven is having some sort of a hissy-fit. Again, my advice is to ignore it, that and a good hand wax, and she'll subside surely... They tend to be quite emotional - mine purrs and coos and clicks everytime I park him after a drive, someone (a nameless, soul-less, someone) tells me this is a cooling mechanism - my a$$. Clearly, again, this is the car's method of expressing separation anxiety... very endearing, really.

Welcome (back???)!
Old 07-15-2001, 10:10 AM

Default Check your gas cap...believe it or not, that is the most common reason for the check engine light

warning. Try R & R of the cap and see if you baby is happy again.