TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

A few notes from the driver seat this time!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-1999, 02:44 PM
Paul Ward

Default A few notes from the driver seat this time!

Been having a nightmare problem getting phone service for Koo's car. Schedule conflict and I was FORCED to take TT in to have phone checked (even had to leave work early)! Can't say enough about this car. Hats off by the way to Jim T and others on the torque/horsepower thread. Where this obviously matters to us all can best be measured in the seat of the pants. The performance balance of this car is superb. Second gear starts on flat not a problem for most driving situations, only a factor if your leaving is with a "purpose". I am really amazed at the car's ability to pull; 5th gear roll on is forceful and linear from 3000rpm. Passing with the TT will be a snap! Cornering attitude is wonderfully flat - 80mph and mid-turn line correction? No problem. Running through the gears is very enjoyable. Short, very positive throws. Having had a chance to drive over a variety of surfaces I am even more respectful of the engineering that went into this vehicle. The level of handling and the excellent suspension response to chopped up asphalt, sharp pavement lips, those incredibly annoying expansion strips (thunka, thunka, thunka, thunka)is remarkably compliant for a sports tuned chassis. You can take this car anywhere, all day, and I am sure arrive in a good mood. Speaking of the chassis, I obviously have not put the time and mileage in that Jim Torongo has but have been blessed to drive a wide variety of cars from all categories. The TT is a very stable platform and while at extreme speeds dynamics can change in a hearbeat, the pedigree of a car is telling even under hard "normal" driving situations. I can't imagine any circumstance on public roads where anyone on this forum should have a concern about the TT. You will however have to worry about your license.......I think this may be a landmark car for Audi. The TT is quite a ride.
Old 10-06-1999, 05:07 PM
AkRascal

Default Agreed

If you want to race, put on wings. Have driven my TTQ, on a wide variety of roads, at speeds that were double the limit, up to 125 mph, and found not the slightest hint of instability... it is a drivers car... it sticks.... mayhaps it will lift at some exotic speed, but for us mere mortals it does the job and does it very well indeed...

And if the AlaskaTrooper reads this, I will deny every word.
Old 10-06-1999, 10:22 PM
Victor F

Default Exactly. Well said! (more)

Audi will always be changing components on the car as production continues, the fact this one has been publicised by them does not concern me.
In my QTT manual they have had a section on ESP in preparation for the day but then for my old A3 they had similar chapters for new features too.

If you really wanted all the bells and whistles then you'd buy the last ever TT off the production line! I have waited long enough!
Old 10-07-1999, 05:39 AM
AK Trooper

Default Time to get out the chopper...lasar radar...stopwatch...camcorder... (nt)

nt