TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Forge DV-R ...my take

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2003, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forge DV-R ...my take

Installed it yesterday normal orientaion, blue spring for the first run. resulted in a "bad" fluttering action of the valve. I swaped in the green spring and the fluttering was less but still there? however drivable, so I deffered till today. with the green spring in and reverse orientaion; the flutter is gone and just a smooth power transition much better than my previous piston Forge DV. another excellent addition!!
I've been driving around today and I must admit the intercooler is a must for chipped and exhaust TT. The temp difference and lack of heat soak is obvious and car pulls much stronger and earlier (much more so off the line than before install). I know the temp reduction is a major part of the improvement but looking at it again today the simpler flow path of the system must improve the CV factor as well, I haven't heard anyone really talk about that so I thought I would mention it?
Anyways kudos to forge on another awesome product and Sean Hottub for the help getting the parts
Old 08-04-2003, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default put a message on last post re: your fmic...it's upside down.

<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/tt/msgs/919466.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/tt/msgs/919466.phtml</a</li></ul>
Old 08-04-2003, 11:10 AM

Default I didn't see that post, but with that being said I checked clearance issues

as I thought of that as well, at least it seemed reasonable it was for clearance..not on my car?? I checked and double checked..also If I installed it that orientaion which makes no difference (striaght through flow)I would have lost 3/4 inch of open heat exchange surface.. So if that's the case I choose to place it in its most effecient placement as it's for performance improvement

Side note: if forge has a reason behind something in there design that could be questionable to someone who is not a auto mechanic they could take 5 minutes and provide a simple write up behind the change. such as the O.CT version. also the reason behind notching it is for clearnce..OK, then they need to alter the design to put it into the best location with the mounting points..I measured twice cut once if you will?
Old 08-04-2003, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reverse orientation. which way is the top facing. to the side?
Old 08-04-2003, 11:17 AM

Default reverse orientaion is with the top tit to the side

People who opinion I respect greatly on this board have had no issues with it in normal orientation? I did?
Old 08-04-2003, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Well....>>

Remember, an FMIC is a Heat Sink, NOT a radiator. Doubt it makes a hill of beans difference....What's done is done!

PS: The OCT instructions tell you to throw away the front aluminum bumper brace...(NOT!)
Old 08-04-2003, 11:20 AM

Default Your saying that exposing the coiling coil to more direct air flow

does nothing for improvement?????? What removes the heat? Not being a wise *** but I have to disagree on this one.
Old 08-04-2003, 11:22 AM

Default Also I guess my point about the instructions or even a product write up spec sheet

is the lack there of. Never seen the O.ct one, just pointing out they provide one..which is something.
Old 08-04-2003, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Exactly........>

Intercoolers are HEAT SINKS. The mass dissipates the heat. As only 1 of 2 guys with temp monitoring on my IC inlets and outlets, I can verify that flow has very little to do with heat dissipation when sized up like an FMIC (in an intercooler envoirnment)...

I've watched inlet temps vary from 50 to 100 degrees centigrade, from accelerating to sitting at a light. Outlet temps constantly hover between 30-34 degrees no matter what.
Old 08-04-2003, 11:29 AM

Default Still scratching my head here..effective area improvement

more heat disapation. more air flow removes that heat or it would become heat soaked as well...what part of this am I missing..really I trust your opinion but if airflow accross the cooler did not matter it could be mounted under the car or trunk?

Quick Reply: Forge DV-R ...my take