TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Fuel Gauge ALWAYS full?!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 10:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by F/-\ST_TT
Just a question, how to a fuel cleaner additive help resolve the fuel level gauge? It uses a floater to send out different ohm signal in reference to fuel level gauge. I highly doubt the fuel will be so dirty they it'll interfere with the floater.
Believe it! I didnt believe it .. but many have removed their sending units and mechanically cleaned them and replaced them.. this is just a chemical cleaning..

apparently the alcohol in the gas causes a film or slight corrosion on the gauge..causing incorrect reading.. cleaning (mechanical or chemical) removes this film to allow it to work again..

Of course there could be a cluster, wiring, or defective sending units.. but I always try the simple things first.
Old 05-31-2010, 02:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexx
Believe it! I didnt believe it .. but many have removed their sending units and mechanically cleaned them and replaced them.. this is just a chemical cleaning..

apparently the alcohol in the gas causes a film or slight corrosion on the gauge..causing incorrect reading.. cleaning (mechanical or chemical) removes this film to allow it to work again..

Of course there could be a cluster, wiring, or defective sending units.. but I always try the simple things first.
Alright I've almost gone through nearly a whole tank with the Lucas fuel cleaner additive but nothing has change. I'll try what many people say will work next the Techron but how many times should I be going to these additive before I call it quits?
Old 05-31-2010, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I find it usually works between 1 and 2 bottles. Sometimes shows restults quicky, or a week or 2 after the treatement.

if it is contamination of the sending units..it should work.. If there is another problem.. no amount of cleaner will help.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by F/-\ST_TT
I haven't check with VAG.com yet but I assume you're right on the dot. It still gives the "miles to empty". I'll try Techron cleaner to see it that clear it up. Thanks.
I am confused by this answer.

When the sender fails both the fuel gauge won't work and "miles to empty" won't countdown.

If your "miles to empty" seems to be working normally there is nothing wrong with the sender.

In that case it's the cluster.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by AudiMick
I am confused by this answer.

When the sender fails both the fuel gauge won't work and "miles to empty" won't countdown.

If your "miles to empty" seems to be working normally there is nothing wrong with the sender.

In that case it's the cluster.
I must have missed that the miles to empty works.. If that is the case, it is probably the cluster. If the miles to empty stay 3-4-5-600 miles and the gauge stays full, then it could be the sending unit.

But agree it is most likely the cluster
Old 05-31-2010, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexx
I must have missed that the miles to empty works..
Actually the poster is not really clear " still gives the miles to empty" could mean two different things.

It lights up?

It counts down?

How about?

Still gives the correct miles to empty based on actual miles driven (odometer) and expected fuel consumption.

Correlation, causation etc.

Last edited by AudiMick; 05-31-2010 at 11:54 AM.
Old 06-04-2018, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Currently experiencing the Always full and miles to empty headache

Sup guys.
A week ago our q5 started gushing fuel unexpectedly. im more than comfortable with changing my own oil, filters, spark plugs, tire rotations etc. but this was above my skill level. And to make matters worst we had just filled it up about 2 days before.
Took it in for service and it turned out to be a bad low pressure fuel pump. “It Completely broke apart, I’ve never seen anything like that before” the mechanic said.

They fixed it and I noticed they even topped off the tank. Yes!
Over the next 3 days She ran great for 150ish miles.
Then while driving to Florida for our summer vacation the q5 just lost all power. The gas pedal had lost all effect. The car is on. But no go power. Coasted to a save stop and I couldn’t turn the car over again. But the gauge said I had 3/4 of a tank.
Got the car towed back to the auto shop when the wrecker driver ask if she had gas I said yeah and he said you’d be surprised so I agreed let’s see how much I can put into. 5 minutes and 19+ gallons later the car turned over. But now the tank stay on full. And says I still have 455 miles to go.

That was 125 miles ago. This is going to be a very interesting drive. But at least the boys will keep themselves busy with math as they try to gauge the true distance we have left as they solve for the difference of the speedometer miles

next stop will add the fuel cleaner and keep you guys posted since we still have three more states to drive through