TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Full Shampoo review...wait..I meant Defcon review to those of you that care

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 12:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Full Shampoo review...wait..I meant Defcon review to those of you that care

So after this review, I'm taking a break from posting as the mod bug has come to a screaming hault. After the Defcon install was done, I am completely satisfied with my car. No 225 TT required any longer!

First of all, I have to say that this little part that Mike has made is a miraculous little piece of engineering and design. Thanks Mike for making this wonderful product available!

I had some other necessary suspension parts put on while waiting for the Defcons to be installed. My first impression rolling out of the driveway was that there was no difference. That did not last long as I got up to speed. The first notice was how much tighter the steering wheel feels. Of course the FWD drive has more front end weight, so it seems safe to say that the heavy feel also stems from this. The second thing to notice is that the car is taking the bumps better! Hard to believe this part could reduce NVH, but it certainly is doing the job quite well. I found a nice uphill twisty to test out more. Normally I would be going 45 through these turns, with the common understeer feedback. I was going 60mph with not a hint of understeer. The car just sauntered through the turns with ease.

I've been testing on some usual routes with a varity of driving obstacles, ie: bumps, railroad tracks, tight turns, rough concrete, joint expansions, etc...and in all of these, the car is planted, smoother, turns better and quicker, etc...Steering input is so much more enhanced with the Defcons, I have to pinch myself. It seems almost too good to be true. In a word, the mod is "amazing". I'm not inflating this whatsoever. The car just does not drive anything like before. It has taken on a completely new character much to my favor. The only bad feature I can see about the Defcons, is that things can be a little twitchy over a nicely rutted road, but then again, extra caution should also be addressed no matter what car is driven in this case.

I have nothing to say but great things for the Defcons. It really has renewed that initial spark that I had for the car when I bought it. In a nutshell, here are the key things I have noticed in summary:

1. steering wheel is tighter (almost like a tighter ratio steering rack was installed, [taking words from joe@vortex.com's review]). It gets heavier as speed increases. Virtually no play in the steering wheel.
2. Steering response greatly enhanced. It's really quite incredible and so much so, it's hard to put exactly into words, except that it's "quick".
3. NVH greatly reduced. Even with 18" profile setup, the TT handles the bumps better through all kinds of rough road surfaces. Even on smooth roads, tire noise seems to be less. Just amazing that this little adapter can achieve so much!
4. Flatter cornering. Understeer appears to be non-existent. I know this isn't possible given the nature of the FWD, but it sure feels like it.
5. Constant grin on face!

If you've been on the fence about getting this mod, just do it. I'll never go back to the sloppy, plowing MK2 bushing design...ever!
Old 02-20-2007, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default For the record, I did NOT pay for this advertising...

and sully is NOT on the MCPi payroll ; )

Happy to have another satisfied customer, though!
Old 02-20-2007, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oh yes you did!

Indirectly....:-)

Audiworld billing is pretty regular...:-)
Old 02-20-2007, 02:33 PM

Default LOL!

My extollments may be used as you see fit. More power to you if you use them, but I suspect a retainer in return! Just kidding. Thanks Mike for a great product. I'm glad I waited to have it done. All the best to you with the Defcons and future endeavors!
Old 02-20-2007, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default yogi berra?

"suspect a retainer"

lol - it is a nice mod. However, until you drive a heavily modded 225... you have no idea how much better it all can be ;-P
Old 02-20-2007, 03:54 PM

Default Re: yogi berra?

I know you're right. I know the 225 is a lot more car, and that is what scares me. I always want something better, but am happy that I am fortunate enough just to have this car at all. It was a dream come true 4 years ago, and that I am thankful for.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default just teasing ya...

to see if you still had a sense of humor ;-)

"Love the one your with" is a fav song of mine from "back in the day". It is still a great car.

Question, why do you say the fw 180 is heavier on the front than the 225 quattro... I would have guessed that the weight on the front is the same with the 225 just having additional weight on the rear?
Old 02-21-2007, 09:49 AM

Of course I do. I can take a ribbing from 99.8 % of the people here with no problem.