TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

God Bless Audi and the People Who Built This Car

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-1999, 09:14 AM
Mark Fay

Default God Bless Audi and the People Who Built This Car

Sitting at a computer terminal on a Sunday morning seems like a crime against humanity when my Silver TTQ with all the trimmings is in my garage 300 miles away. As a partner in a software company with a large client going "live" in two days, it happens. But it sure isn't easy to take.

I have been reading the postings here with great interest. I completely empathize with problems with turbos, door dings and wheel scratches. But I had to weigh in with a few inadequate words just to remind everyone out there that while we owners should stick together, share problems and solve them, we can't lose sight of the gift we have right now: the most satisfying vehicle experience anywhere in the world at any price.

Just a few vignettes, Ill never forget...

It's my 16th wedding anniversary and the woman who personifies "better half" comes into my home office to tell me we are going to lunch. I brush her off: Too much to do, I say, a conference call in two hours, a contract to negotiate, an employee problem to deal with. She tells me that the 1996 A6Q we have needs to stop by the dealership and oh, by the way, they have a TT available for a test drive - and it's waiting for us. I look at the scale model of the car sitting on my desk right next to my appointment book. There is no comparison, no competition, no decision. I know that she is tacitly telling me to go ahead, order the car. That all the reasons not to -the tiny back seat, high insurance costs, other things to do with $35k - don't matter to her. Life is happening right now, she says, and while there will always be problems, challenges and fears, for once do something for yourself. You want this car, she says. Let's go get one.

And the day changes, morphs before my eyes from another day of drudge into a dream-like state vaguely tinged with nirvana. We climb into the car that looks like sex on wheels, and take turns driving turns. And hills and valleys, past river vistas, corn fields, ordinary cars, leaving behind what our life was and heading toward what our life will be, while together we play with the ***** and seat heaters and radio. Laughing about the huge pleasures of impracticality immersion and following our hearts not our fears, reminiscent of our improbable courtship and marriage all those years before. We've been blessed, and not by the car - buying it is just the perfect echo of the decision we made, when we were younger but just as scared, when we saw what we wanted and took it in spite of what others might say or all the reasons not to.

It's Friday and I'm still 10 days away from the promised delivery date. Back from LA, there's a message from Bill at Continental Audi in North Aurora, IL. Give me a call he says, no hint of anything important. But it is important - the car is in and never has time slowed so much to a standstill while I resolve all the other things going on to carve out the time necessary to go and bring it home. I pace and fret while my wife blow dries her hair and talks on the phone. I notice my heart pounding, my mouth dry, my impatience rising to a crescendo as all I want to do is FLY, not drive, the 20 minutes to where our newest family member waits to meet us. I pace outside the bathroom door, asking every 20 seconds - Are you ready yet? - until she can take it no longer and she pulls her still damp hair back with a clip, resigned, feigning anger that hides her amusement, she hasn't seen me act this way because I never have. Not for the BMW, the two other Audis, even my first car. She can't explain it and I can't either. It's more than the car - its all the good feelings that comes from the car, they are inside you when you are inside it and the motion, the sounds, the perfection all create the driving passion, blending it with everything else and the TT becomes a mixmaster, a machine that takes those emotions and stirs them all up into a phenomenal cocktail of headiness and romance and fun. A feeling of hard work rewarded, of faith redeemed; of honor and conviction and steadfastness, as sure on its feet as you are on yours. As close to perfection as a machine can be.

I've had the car for two hours and my 13 year old son is, as usual, playing tennis down the street. He calls me to tell him to pick him up. I don't let him in on the secret - the car's early and I'm driving it. He's seen pictures, but never went on the test drives.

Nothing much impresses him. His first trip to Wrigley Field included a visit to both locker rooms, autographs and standing on the infield while his best friend threw out the first pitch. He summed it all up as "Okay." Go figure.

He's a 1/4 mile away when he sees the car for the first time, the club is on a hill with a winding street leading up to it. He's sitting on the curb waiting for me to arrive at his feet as I always do. I can't help it, I admit my kids are hopelessly indulged and I have no regrets. But instead of waiting in his usual position, his body language says it all. Before I have even turned into the drive he is on his feet, running down the sidewalk, his beloved tennis bag left in his dust, unconciously he's dropped it on the tarmack, so transfixed and amazed is he. He looks disbelieveing into the window, as if to make sure it really is me, and not some alien or apparition. He asks - IS THIS THE CAR? - and when I nod he dances, turning around, jumping up and down, a ballet of joy and pleasure and laughter. As he climbs in, he says something that I haven't heard him say about anything else - not his undefeated football team, his best buds or even the gorgeous girl he always hangs with. What do you think? I ask him. He stops, looks around, touches the gearshift, the steering wheel, the glove box. Well? I ask.

Oh Dad, he says. This car is DA BOMB!

I couldn't have said it better myself.

So let's keep at it. If there are problems, let's share them and make sure Audi fixes them. I've had two of their cars before and they've never let me down.

But let's not forget for a moment what we have, right here right now. Because in late 1999 every one of us who is privledged enough to drive this car has been given a rare gift, one that you can compare with few other motor cars, one that will be a classic 25 years from now and one that I will never forget.

Thanks Audi. You've done a great job. God bless you and everyone on the TT Team.

Old 10-10-1999, 10:22 AM
Maz

Default Thanks for sharing a wonderful tale...

...we are lucky indeed.

Maz.
Old 10-10-1999, 10:59 AM
johnkrls

Default We're riding automotive history...

That's for sure! Everything else - car wise - on the road looks either boring or conventional after owning this Bauhaus design marvel. Indeed, a BIG thanx to Audi for giving us the TT!
;-) John K.
Old 10-10-1999, 11:03 AM
Denny

Sounds as though you have been blessed in many ways. Thoroughly enjoyed your post. (nt)
Old 10-10-1999, 11:10 AM
AkRascal

Default Happy posting

Made my day, almost as much as when my wife of some 35 years.... said with a twinkle in her eye, "go buy the damn thing." Knocked me off my feet, an hour later the damn thing was bought... 3500 miles later I'm still grinning.... so is she.... I'm gonna pay,, I'm gonna pay.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-10-1999, 01:59 PM
Ken R

Default What a perfect post

Mark- What an uplifting post that was. I even printed it out so can read again in future. I truly do believe we are blessed to have this car. I am still amazed after having owned it for 6 months of how much I care for this car. Never has that happened before.
Old 10-10-1999, 03:36 PM
DieTTmar

Default WOW

Have got tears in my eyes and emotions reading your post. Hope to get my TT in this week and you can imagine how i feel .....

DieTTmar
Old 10-10-1999, 04:39 PM
SAF

Default This could be my last car.

I had a '66 Mustang, and foolishly sold it for next to nothing. I had a 240Z and foolishly sold it for next to nothing. Maybe I'll learn my lesson this time, and keep a classic! This car satisfies every desire I ever had for wanting a car...making me feel like there's nothing else on the road that I'd rather be driving. Short of financial disaster, it's here to stay! My 8 year old son says he can't wait to drive it to school. Oh no.
Old 10-10-1999, 06:39 PM
Mindarella

Default Thank You

What a heartfelt and beautifully written note. If I find myself with similar vignettes from my own experience months from now my wildest dreams - well ok, not my wildest dreams - but every hope and expectation I have as I wait for this car will be fulfilled, and all the wondering and worrying will have been worthwhile. Thanks for taking the time and the risk to share with us all.
Old 10-10-1999, 06:57 PM
God

Default Re: God Bless Audi and the People Who Built This Car

Thank you so much, as I am not only the Creator of the Universe, but of the Audi TT as well. I hope you aren't too bothered about that transmission thing. Even God has a sense of humour. Hey, nothing's perfect, except for Me! Peace to you all, My children.

P.S Don't call Audi Customer Service with any questions. They know NOTHING! It's My will!

Sincerely,

God

<ul><li><a href="http://vis-www.cs.umass.edu/~mingyu/god.html">Visit God</a></li></ul>

Quick Reply: God Bless Audi and the People Who Built This Car