TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Good deal on a digital cell phone...

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-1999, 02:22 PM
Brad Willis

Default Good deal on a digital cell phone...

I guess that a good deal on a cell phone is sort of on topic. Airtouch cellular has a nice promotion on a handheld cell phone, for those interested. I already had service with them, and I established service for my dad as part of his Christmas gift, and they gave me 2 of these phones for $39 each.

The phone is a Sumsung model SCH-411. What I really like about this phone is that it has voice recognition, so when you flip open the cover, a digitized voice says "who would you like to call". You say the name and it dials for you.

The phone is dual mode CDMA digital, and can also operate on analog systems, has 99 memory positions, is alphanumeric, has a vibrate alert mode, plus 9 different ring tones and 3 melodies. It also offers paging and text messaging capabilities, has an alarm, and other nicities.

It's larger than the analog StarTac 3000 that it is replacing, but is still pretty small and the battery lasts a lot longer. I'm sure that a slim battery will be available, if it isn't already, which will cut down on the already very reasonable size and weight.

Airtouch has a deal, where if you order it from their website, you get a free leather case, a free car charger, and a $25 Amazon gift certificate. I went to the Airtouch store to work a deal, and I got the website goodies free anyway, less the Amazon certificate. And I didn't even have to change or extend any of the terms of my service. The "regular" price of this phone is $279. You can check it out at Airtouch's website by clicking on the link below.<ul><li><a href="http://www.airtouch.com/">Airtouch Samsung SCH-411 deal</a></li></ul>
Old 12-19-1999, 03:36 PM
Dave G

Default Re: Good deal on a digital cell phone... or...

I've never owned a cell phone, so had to get one...

and this one is great, darn well better be!

Just keep it in a front pant pocket and no one
knows you have it. (Don't go there)

Also goes well with 180Q Silver.<ul><li><a href="http://www.nokiausa.com/shopnokia/?body=/beauty/1,1002,34,FF.html">http://www.nokiausa.com/shopnokia/?body=/beauty/1,1002,34,FF.html</a</li></ul>
Old 12-19-1999, 03:59 PM
Brad Willis

You're right, that is a beauty. Of course, it's a bit more than $39. I think that it was $800 in the "Needless Markups" catalog. What price were you able to get it for?

Also, if anyone cares, the phone that I mentioned weighs 5.5 oz (less with a slim battery). Standby time is 55 hours, and talk time is 4.5 hours. It comes with a Lithium Ion battery.
Old 12-19-1999, 06:29 PM
Apostate

Nice but the chrome finish gets dirty too easily. Sorta like the black color on cars... ;^) (nt)
Old 12-19-1999, 06:53 PM
Ted

Default Does airtouch have the best plan in the Valley, presently. I'm FINALLY going to get

connected!!! Have resisted for a long, long, long time (looking after my peacefull time). Consequently, I honestly know very little about the technology or the programs.
Old 12-19-1999, 07:44 PM
Ted

Grab the "olive branch" below.
Old 12-19-1999, 11:48 PM
Dave G

Chrome phone was $800 but included all the accessories like charger, earphone thingie, spare
battery and more.

A bit much I gotta admit. Don't shop with girlfriend, my lesson.

It has a small velvet-like pouch that removes
all the fingerprints every time you use it.

Losing it is a worry though.
Old 12-20-1999, 06:22 AM
Brad Willis

We'll break down the cost of this phone:

1. Velvet pouch $125
2. Earphone thingie $125
3. Charger $125
4. Extra battery $125
5. Chrome plating $125
6. Phone $175

See, when you view the cost this way, the price appears much more reasonable.