TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Got the TT back finally from the dealer yesterday for my CPOed cluster...

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 12:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got the TT back finally from the dealer yesterday for my CPOed cluster...

took them almost a week! <sigh> As many have experienced already, the temp gauge would always show the car running Hot while block 49 in the HVAC showed coolant where it should be temp wise - (which we're debating currently as for some unknown reason my car likes to run a bit on the cool side - ie: runs the coolant in the mid to low 80s C).

Never really thought about it until I went to pick it up and the service advisor "wants to get the tech to explain the issue so as to not freak me out...." Going out the door to the garage he mentions "timing belt".

GR-EAT!

Anyway, when the tech did the original diagnostic he could see the temp gauge was FUBARed as it didn't jump from the 9/12/3/6 o'clock positions as the other gauges did and ordered a new one. While they were at it they also repaired the hazard switch as my blinkers would "clickity click" every now and then when they were not in use... very fun when they decided to "stay on" for the entire hour+ commute home.....

In went the new hazard switch and cluster and the tech took her out for a spin and lo and behold she is now running "extra cool" he states.... and he still gets the clickity click of the turn signals... haha! Welcome to the fun TT gremlins Mr Audi Tech.

Temp gauge will temporarily drop one hash mark toward cool once in a blue moon and very briefly and the HVAC will show car hitting as low as 77 C before going back up to an average operating temp of 82-84 C....

They originally thought it was a sticking thermostat or time for the water pump/timing belt to be done but as I told them those were done less than 30k ago they are a wee bit baffled. There is some talk that a new green topped coolant sensor might help the situation out as they have been known to "be quirky"...

Clickity click of the hazard switch turned out to be a need for an entirely new turn signal stalk... blinkers are much more subdued now in volume... less "click clack".

Work order is open for warranty purposes as they want me to drive it and monitor the temps as they state no damage to the car/engine will be done. The car has always run a wee bit on the cool side but the dips into the upper 70s C is a new one that I've noticed and I've spent a lot of time monitoring the coolant temps via the HVAC - especially in the summer.

This might be situation where the hotter running Wahler thermostat might make the car perform "to spec".....
Old 02-27-2007, 04:32 AM

Default Re: Got the TT back finally from the dealer yesterday for my CPOed cluster...

Had the same issue of the car seemingly running cold. New cluster, new temp sending unit, nothing. Tech says he found a leak causing the problem which didn't make sense 'cause I thought a leak would have made it run hot. They fixed the 'leak' and the problem went away. Will never know if that was really the problem or not... Good luck!
Old 02-27-2007, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

hmmm, that's odd - were you losing coolant then - slowly?
Old 02-27-2007, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

jeeeze,mikey,I must be the only one around here,wth an origonal cluster on my 01....LOL
Old 02-27-2007, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

probably - this one is on the 2nd TT though - the '02 roadster.... count your blessings
Old 02-27-2007, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default let me know about that running cool issue

mine does the same exact thing. sometimes i'll look down and it's 1 tick down. usually warms back up after a few mins.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default yikes, my '01 is still Orig. too

although now that i mention, it's only a matter of time
Old 02-27-2007, 07:48 AM

Had a coolant smell but the level never went down...
Old 02-27-2007, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Glad everythings fine Mike. My cluster is loosing lines in the info center...>>

but everything else is fine. I might get a new one someday.