TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

This Haldex software thing...

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-1999, 12:54 AM
Marius B

Default This Haldex software thing...

IF there is any connection between the Haldex software and the tail stepping out under high-speed throttle lift-off or braking, it seems to indicate that:
- there IS a significant amount of power transfer to the rear under normal driving, and that
- the Haldex clutch does NOT necessarily disengage immediately when lifting off (engine braking).

The first point will be contrary to some people's belief, and the second point would surprise us all, I guess, and if so be a programming feature that they possibly have decided to adjust. Comments, anyone?

One nugget of info for some here: there is also an electrical pump in the Haldex clutch, in addition to the mechanical speed-difference driven pump, so I guess the clutch may possibly be able to stay engaged in some coasting situations, if programmed so.
Old 12-09-1999, 01:52 AM
Stefan Lundkvist

Default Re: This Haldex software thing...

Well, as earlier mentioned by Jan Stenberg, the newsagency in Sweden maintains that there is a softwareproblem and that their information is actually firsthand information. If this really is true, and one other source seems to confirm this also, it does not appear to be information that is very widesspread in the International Audi-organization - I earlier mentioned the answer from Audi Sweden denying all knowledge about this.

Does anyone know if the accidents in Germany have been bith Qs or FWDs? (It's been asked before, but I haven't seen an answer)
Old 12-09-1999, 03:22 AM
Marius B

Default Yes, both FWD and Q has had accidents (naturally), and ...

... I don't know whether there seems to be a disproportionate bias towards Q accidents. The total number of "known incidents", not knowing the definition of an incident, was in the 20+ region a month ago, so this is hardly statistically significant anyway.

We know the Q's have sharper behavior, even in coasting mode, so even if there was a discernible bias it would be uncertain whether it stemmed from chassis or quattro-system.
Old 12-09-1999, 01:01 PM
Graham

Marius,

It is my understanding that the Haldex DOES provide torque as necessary to the rear wheels in all sitatuons EXCEPT when the ABS kicks in.

According to some of the local Audi people, that is the only fundamental difference in execution between the Haldex and the Torsen ( obviously they work on completely different principles ), and Audi would not settle for anything less, ie viscous coupling.

Graham
Old 12-09-1999, 11:22 PM
Marius B

Yes, but "torque as necessary" doesn't explain what the engineers decided to be necessary and found to be feasible. I would love to see a list of input-result conditions explained in plain english.
Old 12-12-1999, 01:42 PM
Graham

you and me both!! (nt)