TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Handling Comparison - AWD vs. FWD

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 04:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Handling Comparison - AWD vs. FWD

Its hard to recall exactly how a car I haven't driven in over a year, a 225 Q Coupe, specifically handled but as the recent buyer of a 180 FWD, I remain impressed with the overall handling. This is the first non-Quattro Audi I've ever had. My other Audi was an A4 3.0 with Quattro.

This all got me to think about that age old argument levied against Audi that only the Torsen based cars, which the TT is not, really benefit from AWD in normal dry weather driving that would not cause the clutch based Haldex to engage. Both professional and enthusiast impressions refer to Quattro TTs generally having superior handling to FWD, but in dry weather driving is there is any handling advantage to Haldex Quattro? IS there any rear wheel transfer in cornering with Haldex? On the other hand, is the weight and complexity of Haldex Quattro a performance liability until encountering the limits that would engage it?

I know this Torsen vs, Haldex question has been raised many times before. I also know and have experienced that Haldex Quattro is better than no Quattro in weather/road conditions that can benefit from it. However, now that I've been driving a FWD TT, I'm curious as to what others have found who have also driven both variations of the TT with regard to uneventful driving conditions and whether there is still advantage to the Quattro TTs.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Some answers...>>

The stock Haldex system is basically a FWD until traction is lost. It is a reactive system where the Torsen is more of a proactive system meaning that the rear wheels work all the time plus some systems allow for more than 50% rear traction.

The performance controller for the haldex is more of a proactive system giving up to 50/50 split.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:20 AM

Default The amount of slip required to cause the haldex to begin transferring power is minimal...

It can easily occur in dry, good traction conditions. When I began auto-xing the TT I could tell when the haldex would kick in as the car would change from driving like a front wheel drive car to an AWD car. That took a little getting used to. However, on the road courses for DE and track days, the car drives like an AWD car all the time. So I would say yes, the benefits are there regardless of road conditions.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default My haldex is not working right now >>>

Torque steer! I never experienced this when the Haldex was functioning properly. Now on hard accelleration, I'm constantly fighting the car. Also, when accelerating from a stop, my ESP activates more frequently than before. I've experienced quite a bit of wheel hop as well.

Even in optimal conditions, I'm constantly backing off the throttle through turns as my tires are chirping like never before.

All of this has led me to believe that the haldex was engaging much more often than I had realized.

Granted the FWD cars have different hardware, so maybe my experiences with faulty Haldex wouldn't be as pronounced on a car intended for FWD.
Old 08-16-2006, 07:40 AM

Default Re: Some answers...and a correction >>

The Haldex in quattro TTs up through 2006 allowed up to almost 100 percent in the rear, way beyond the 50-50 split, according to Mats Johannson, Engineering and Quality manager at Haldex Traction AB. I only recently learned that from 2007 on the TTs have a different Haldex, which may be only up to a 50-50 split, but not sure on that. www.haldex.com.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:02 AM

Default Is there any documentation on that 100% split

Just curious as it goes against most everything else I've read. Would be nice to have something in writing.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Haldex is always active. The front and rear wheels are always turning at slightly different rates,

so there is always "preload" on the haldex system.

IIRC, the minimum torque typically sent to the rear wheels in the real world is 10%.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default A4B7 forum seems to think that AWD is the Shait! I don't agree...but whatever.

<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a4b7/msgs/54215.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/a4b7/msgs/54215.phtml</a></li></ul>
Old 08-16-2006, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default thought mine was broke too.. but in fact, not!

I suggest going to a wet parking lot, turning off ESP, and goosing it. if you slip a bunch, haldex dont work, if not, it's alright.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

2nd.. i thought (according to everything i've read) that it only goes to 50 50

Quick Reply: Handling Comparison - AWD vs. FWD