TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Happiness is new wheels!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-1999, 05:16 PM
Brad Willis

Default Happiness is new wheels!

A few weeks back, Mr. TT Rim met Mr. Curb. Guess who won? Heck, you're just too sharp! Anyway, not only did Mr. Curb take out about 3/8" of my rim, but pinching the tire against the curb destroyed a $300 tire too! All of this at less that 1 mph (translation: Be really careful).

The good news (if you can call it that) is that the polished alloy finish on the wheels of my NM TT was already starting to look like heck, as the clear coat was breaking down (I think). Polished alloys are basically the same 17" wheels that most of you have, only polished like crazy and then sprayed with a clearcoat. Looks decent, but isn't the most durable of finishes.

Anyway, I picked up my TT yesterday from its 10k service, and my dealer, with the approval of Audi, ordered 4 new 17" rims, sent them to Los Angeles for chrome plating, and replaced the old ones. So now I have 4 perfect rims and the chrome looks much brighter and nicer than the polished alloy.

I know that some of you don't like chrome, but if you see it in person, you will probably think that it looks really nice. I know that my dealer is putting chrome wheels on a number of the TTs that they are receiving. If interested, you might ask your dealer about this. On some TTs the chrome wheels will look very hot, especially black.

Old 10-07-1999, 06:36 PM
Noriko

Default Re: Happiness is new wheels!

Brad,

Love to see them! I've seen chrome wheels on TT and they look very tough! Are you going to post a photo? Or do we have to wait until our get-together?
Old 10-07-1999, 06:39 PM
Brad Willis

Default Re: Happiness is new wheels!

I may post a photo, but I'm not sure that it would look much different than polished alloy in the pics. Looks a lot better in person. Can you make it if we do the meeting on the 31st at noon?
Old 10-08-1999, 07:23 AM
Jack R

Is this an option for fixing wheels that have been scratched? (nt)