TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Has anyone with a Garrett chip installed it themself? How have the chipped people handled installs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-1999, 06:10 PM
Joe

Default Has anyone with a Garrett chip installed it themself? How have the chipped people handled installs?

Been wondering.... With all the talk on chips, no one has yet mentioned this....
Old 12-16-1999, 06:44 PM
Jenner

I have with the help of a friend...what do you need to know?
Old 12-16-1999, 07:03 PM
mne

Default Garrett solders in a new socket assembly that has a lot of tiny little contacts...(more)

that wouldnt be much fun to attempt to do yourself unless tedium and painstaking pinpoint accuracy/delicacy in soldering appeals to you. Its certainly doable, and he will sell you that setup if he's confident in your skill level at such a task. The reason for the socket replacement is so you can swap chips within the ECU easier if you dont want the extra ECU, yet want the comfort level of being able to replace your stock chip for whatever reason. He also sends you your stock chip back for just such an event. If your talking "install" of the ECU into your car once you have a chipped ECU, thats easy. First time takes about ten minutes. I'm down to right at 2 minutes now cuz I've done it so many times. No tools required after the first time. (first time requires a screwdriver to bend a small tab back that locks the ECU into place... once thats done you dont have to bend it back each time). Once the new ECU is installed you turn the key to "on" and leave it so for two minutes and "do NOT touch the throttle pedal." After that you start the car and let it idle for two minutes and again, "do not touch the throttle pedal.". After that you drive the car as you would prior to the chip installation. But the accompanying instructions say "full adaptation of the new ECU may take up to two full days of operation." But I always feel the difference immediately. Its NOT a subtle difference. Hope this helps
Old 12-16-1999, 07:13 PM
Chad D

Default I watched Todd @ AWE install my chip

Todd did excellent work, and really took his time to make sure it was done right. Kept the board very clean and had the right tools to get the job done. I don't think I could have done the install myself and I am very good with an iron.

I would definately use him again.

Chad D
Old 12-16-1999, 07:34 PM
Dave

Default Garrett Lim, A&W both two thumbs up!!

I would have A&W or Garrett install the chip for you. I had a chip installed this week and had a little issue of starting the car after receiving it. A little cleaning alcohol and reseating the chip fixed the problem. This was after spending time on the phone with a very helpful and courteous Garrett. Asides the noticeable gains from the chip, I would recommend Garret Lim for his super 'after sales' service!! Thanks Garrett
Old 12-17-1999, 04:55 AM
Joe

Just curious how its done, and how you guys have done it. Feeling out the options, you know? nt