TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Has the OBD port fairy been...??

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 10:59 PM
Back axle behind the ears

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has the OBD port fairy been...??

Morning all...

I bought a 2006 TT for the princely sum of $500, of course it has needed a little work get it up and running but finally i had the work done to get it thru our inspection process here in Qatar so she's all legal and driving...
There are some issues outside of that tho that I could do with a bit of help with please...
I have the OBD11 dongle and software but for the life of me, I can't seem to find the OBD port, have I missed something...??
All the threads I've looks at said the OBD port is under the drivers side (LHD) dash but I've checked as far as I can without removing anything but I just can't see it...
There's one aperture that looks like it could be the right shape just above the clutch pedal, was thinking it may have been pushed thru possibly, the dongle does not fit into that hole tho....
So, any ideas where that might be please...??!!

Also, although it seems to drive well enough, starts, stops and goes round corners, I can't help but think that it seems to really down on power...
I mean it moves ok and I can hear the turbo spool up, albeit a bit noisier than what I would expect for a turbo, but it just doesn't seem to really take off...
It's smooth tho and not misfiring or anything, is there something silly that would make this happen like a split vacuum tube or something...

As well, the speedo isn't working at all, the fuel gauge seems to have a mind of its own and the centre panel has absolutely no display at all, nothing lights up on it, dead...
Having read about the symptoms and repair procedures and being here in Qatar, what would be the best course of action...??
Better to remove and send to USA or UK for repair...?? Or get a used cluster and hope that there's somebody here who can do all the coding to match it to the car...??
Don't really want to go mad with it, I only got it as it was so cheap, it's small and manual as well so good the enemy to learn to drive so looking for the cheapest, not necessarily the quickest option...
I already have an S8 that is performing open wallet surgery...!!
Other than those listed above , can't seem to find much else wrong with it, couple of lights on the dash, airbag light as well... Obvs I can't see what's wrong till I find my OBD port...!!

Any help gratefully received, thank you...
Old 04-15-2018, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The OBD port should be just above the hood release lever. If it isn't there you should remove that panel below the steering column, could be it wasn't put back in place last time that panel was installed.

Old 04-16-2018, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by dh53
The OBD port should be just above the hood release lever. If it isn't there you should remove that panel below the steering column, could be it wasn't put back in place last time that panel was installed.

Thanks for reply...
I've stuck my head under there of course but I'm pretty sure there is no hole at all above the bonnet release switch, let alone an OBD port hole... The one I mentioned in my post seems to be to the right of the bonnet release, that's the one I said my adapter doesn't fit in...
I'll have another look shortly when I get home and take some pics...
Thanks...
Old 04-16-2018, 09:32 PM

So, seems I got nothing...!!

Old 04-17-2018, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

In order to fully remove that panel beneath the steering column the OBD port has to unsnap from the panel. Whoever put the panel back on was likely in a hurry or not careful to snap the OBD connector back in place. I forgot to put it back in place the first time I touched that panel. I would guess it is just hanging loosely behind there. I think there are only 3 or 4 screws holding that panel in place, 2 down low by your feet and 1 or 2 behind the fusebox cover. With the right torx wrench you can get at the OBD connector in a minute or 2.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:47 PM

In order to fully remove that panel beneath the steering column the OBD port has to unsnap from the panel. Whoever put the panel back on was likely in a hurry or not careful to snap the OBD connector back in place. I forgot to put it back in place the first time I touched that panel. I would guess it is just hanging loosely behind there. I think there are only 3 or 4 screws holding that panel in place, 2 down low by your feet and 1 or 2 behind the fusebox cover. With the right torx wrench you can get at the OBD connector in a minute or 2.
Thanks for the info mate...
Have chucked it into the mechanic now, let him sort all these issues out...
Looks like lack of power is down to half the air pipes to the turbo hanging off...!!