TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Hello ? About the instrument cluster on a 3.2 tt

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello ? About the instrument cluster on a 3.2 tt

I am thinking about buying a 2006 3.2 V6 Quattro Audi TT. This will be the third MK 1 Audi TT that I have bought. When I had my first 2001 Audi TT desert green color/top with the baseball glove interior, I had an instrument cluster go out. When I took it to the dealer, they replaced the instrument cluster and also gave me under 4000 miles in my favor with my odometer.
The problem with Carfax is, when they list the mileage of the previous owners, it is very hard to gauge when their instrument clusters went out. How factual is the Carfax mileage from previous owners, knowing that there could be a potential of fraud from the dealer when they replaced instrument clusters. Meaning lowering the odometer by accident or just doing it.

I notice cars for sale with low mileage may have had that issue. Especially used ones by car dealers. When the instrument cluster goes out there is a pixel problem on the center window between the miles per hour and the RPMs windows. Also even if the instrument has been replaced how do I know how accurate the mileage is considering that the instrument cluster has failed multiple times.

there are a couple of Audi Quattro 3.2 tts that are the special made ones only 99 made offered for sale by dealers. Some have very low mileage and it could be because someone was hanging onto the car thinking that at some point it will be worth something with less miles and that they would put it up for sale and sell the car for more money.

So with that said how do I know how accurate the mileage is. That is also including any tts out there.
Old 02-16-2018, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would not think the mileage would be incorrect even with the instrument cluster failing.
Do you know for sure the mileage is incorrect when the instrument cluster fails?