TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Help-All of you seasoned managers!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2002, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help-All of you seasoned managers!

In a nutshell...

My department is divided into two sites-One in US and one in UK. The UK side is more efficient and accurate in their work. I am going to ask my company to send me to the UK to compare processes, etc.

Do you have any hints on writing a proposal that will "grab" my managers? Any suggestions for a successful fact-finding trip?

Thanks!!!
Old 01-15-2002, 03:02 PM

Default If this is not a common practice than from a financial

point of view you need to justify your trip. ie: make it finacially appealing rather than just a fact finding holiday. Do you know the key differences between the two sites? Or do you need to go there to find them out? Can you right a good paper showing how all the improvements you will make will pay for your mission in x number of days..followed by x amount of new profits over x amount period of time? Is it the people or is it the procedures that make your UK section outperform the US division? Ever thought that your findings could result in a US closure especially if it turns out to be a people problem? If your paper is directed at the UK section observe proper form in all correspondences if its to a US person clearly show improvements in real world numbers that your trip could bring.
Old 01-15-2002, 03:18 PM

Default Re: If this is not a common practice than from a financial

Suggestions taken.

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-15-2002, 03:21 PM

Default The key point in your paper has

got to be making the trip seem like a worthwhile company expense that will pay dividends for time to come rather than an all expense paid company holiday to the Lake District to drink Bitter in a pub and shootin the sh@t with your British co-workers....
Old 01-15-2002, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree.....Key on the financial and productivity improvements...
Old 01-15-2002, 04:22 PM

Default Up Front Preparation is the key to good benchmarking.

I have done a LOT of benchmarking within my company and to other companies in the US and overseas. Here are some thoughts on preparations that will help make your trip a success:

Ask your self or your team what processes they feel need improvement and what they feel they do well. Brainstorm an initial set of goals for the trip with a diverse group.

Prepare a benchmarking plan that outlines in as much detail as possible the goals of the trip and the deliverable. It is better to be very specific about what you plan to look at.

Get buy-in at the location you are visiting. Get a point of contact well in advance. Ask them what they do well, and where they feel they need to improve. This will help you focus your trip.

Identify people you want to meet in advance. Ask your point of contact to set up interviews/meetings with those key players.

Don't go alone. A small group will acomplish much more than an individual. Different people have different perspectives that will add tremendous value to the trip. The group should develop the plan together.

Take along some trinkets or momentos from your office or company to use as thank you gifts for people on the other end who host your visit.

Have the host send applicable documents or procedures describing the processes you will be looking at a couple weeks before the trip. Review these thoroughly. The more you know before you get there, the more effective your time there will be spent.

Good luck!
Old 01-15-2002, 11:23 PM
TTP
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: The more quantitative metrics you can establish upfront, the better your chances will be..

at making a proper comparative study of either division's processes and methodologies.