TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

HELP! audi tt won't shift into reverse and is revving but no power!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 12:37 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! audi tt won't shift into reverse and is revving but no power!

Hi,

a few weeks ago, my manual audi tt stopped shifting into reverse. I could use gears 1-5, but not get into reverse. About two weeks after that, I was no longer able to shift into first, except with extreme force. I can currently shift into gears 2, 3, 4, and 5 as usual, but cannot access reverse, and have to use a forceful thrust to get it into first (and sometimes it still won't get into first). Then, the past few days, it's driving terribly....when I'm driving in gear with the gas pedal down, the RPM's are flying up, and there's very little acceleration/power, the kind of behavior you'd expect if I was slamming on the gas and pushing in the clutch at the same time. It's revving really high but it's like only 1/3 the power/acceleration it should be. it's going REALLY slow. Can you guys please tell me what you think would cause this? It's already been suggested to me that it might be a slipping clutch. What are your thoughts? Thanks!
Old 05-03-2014, 02:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Could be a slipping clutch. But what I'm suspecting since you have lost reverse completely and have to force it into 1st. is you have broken a shifter fork in your transmission. This was a weak link in the six speed gearboxes and it happened to me. Hope it is not the case with you since you have a 5 speed but the symptoms sound similar. If it is the case the tranny has to be pulled and rebuilt. Since my clutch was almost gone I got that replaced as well since it was xposed anyway. Cost a freakin wad of dough for all of that. Its a good thing (or bad) that I love driving my TT so much.

Last edited by Glenbo; 05-03-2014 at 08:28 PM.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Transmission issue

My 2003 6 speed manual 225 quarto did the same thing. With no warning, I couldn't find reverse. On the way to the dealer I lost 2nd gear. When I arrived at the dealer, reverse was back. They wanted $11k to put in a new transmission.
I couldn't find anyone in the Washington DC area that could find a replacement transmission so I have dropped it at AAMCO for them to rebuild it. They haven't got it torn down so I don't know what the problem is.

Oh wait, the problem in Audi built a terrible transmission. Only 68k miles and it falls apart. This is an outrage. We have been building cars for 100 years and Audi has people like you and me with busted transmission. BS!
Old 05-21-2014, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Transmission issue

My 2003 6 speed manual 225 quatro did the same thing. With no warning, I couldn't find reverse. On the way to the dealer I lost 2nd gear. When I arrived at the dealer, reverse was back. They wanted $11k to put in a new transmission.
I couldn't find anyone in the Washington DC area that could find a replacement transmission so I have dropped it at AAMCO for them to rebuild it. They haven't got it torn down so I don't know what the problem is.

Oh wait, the problem in Audi built a terrible transmission. Only 68k miles and it falls apart. This is an outrage. We have been building cars for 100 years and Audi has people like you and me with busted transmission. BS!
Old 06-02-2014, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Guess what? another shifter fork bits the dust. Had to rebuild the transmission, replace the clutch and the dual mass flywheel as it was scorched. Spent $5700 to get it back on the road. Audi you disappoint me.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Those shifter forks were held together by a single rivet. Duh? The rivet would wear then the fork would get loose and break and all those rivet and fork fillings get mulched up in the tranny. Mine was just over $4000 for rebuilt tranny and clutch/flywheel and pressure plate. The replacement fork Audi uses is a beefier solid one piece design. A very dissapointing design indeed for German engineering.
Old 05-31-2019, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 2000 TT Quattro 5 spd Suddenly Lost Reverse

Hello fellow TT owners,

I've owned my 2000 Mk1 for almost 3 years now and had to put a good bit of work into it, including a new rack and pinion, AC compressor, calipers, and more. From the time that I purchased it, it was always difficult to shift into first gear, but I assumed this might just be some worn syncros from rough driving in previous owners. However, just a few days ago I suddenly have had extreme difficulty shifting into reverse, and much more difficulty shifting into first. My shifting issues seem to have been exacerbated by the Summer heat, but this appears to be far worse. I'm reading that this is related to the shifter fork - is it possible that if I were to open up the tranny and replace the fork that the issue could be resolved? Or does this issue require a full transmission rebuild or replacement?

Jared Darius
Old 05-31-2019, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My 01 roadster has only 23k miles on it. 2nd owner. I paid a premium for low miles as I didn’t want to do any major work outside of the belts in the first year. I have noticed that’s its a like a click trying to get into second gear. Notchy would be how I would describe it. I had a euro shop take a look. They didn’t find anything. We changed out the fluid but it still exists. I thought maybe it’s a linkage issue. Can you change out the fork as a preventive measure or will it still be crazy expensive due to labor costs?
Old 05-31-2019, 09:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

To replace the fork, you have to open up the tranny, which means pulling it. Watch this clip from an episode of "Wheelers Dealers". Ed China analyses the problem and replaces the fork.
The part that's missing is how he bolts the fork to the lever - he used a locknut on a bolt. There used to be a full episode, since removed.
Old 06-03-2019, 03:42 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had and issue with my 2001 MK1. All of a sudden I could not get it into any gear and the shifter was loose. I pulled off the road and one of the shift cables broke. I was able to reach my hand down on top of the transmission and shifted in to a gear. Luckly I found 3rd and was able to get the car home to replace the cables. Just a place to start looking.