TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

HELP! with CV boot change boo-boo

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! with CV boot change boo-boo

OK, so here goes: So I saw some grease on the inner part of my rim on the driver's side so realised time for a change of that CV boot. Ordered the part and this weekend got to work. Cleaned off all that caked on grease which was now gritty and dried and then got just the outer CV joint off pretty easily. Cleaned it all, put back together and added new grease. I got the new CV boot on the spindle/axle, attached the joint, reattached it to the hub and then clamped the two wire clamps/circlips. I did the initial torque and as I was getting ready to put the car back on the ground to do the final torque what do I spy but the new washer and plastic cone that normally goes on after you slip the boot up over the axle.

So everything is pretty much back together except that I have not put back in the new washer and plastic cone. My questions are based on one of two scenarios.

1. If I just say to hell with it - what could or will happen without that little metal washer and plastic cone? Is it going to cost me more in the long run? Worst case?

2. If I do decide to take everything apart again just to put these two parts on then would I a. be able to buy just the bigger clamp that I will have to remove, since I pretty much presume it will be shot taking it off and it will never tighten like before; and, b. would I have to change the C-clip as well even though I have not driven on it? and can I buy that separately as well? If so from where because when I was looking for the parts all I found were kits.

Many thanks in advance,
JB

Last edited by rabbiTT; 05-02-2010 at 05:54 PM.