TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Hey all :) I might be getting back into a TT again... but which one?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 09:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey all :) I might be getting back into a TT again... but which one?!

Alright... For those that don't know me I used to be pretty active here and owned an 04 3.2 in bril. red.

Fantastic car.

Then I got a new job and had to get a new place to live, but the cost of living in Toronto is a LOT higher than London (not to mention I can buy a place as much as it costs to rent) so I did. A condition of the mortgage was that I had to sell the car... Natually I got HOSED by a dealer and when I picked up my 06 Jetta (spice red) I saw that they marked up my car $8000 more than they bought it from me for.

Fast forward to now. Everyday I drive that Jetta I can't get the TT out of my mind and so I went hunting again for some used TTs. I found 2 that are tickling my fancy right now... an 02 ALMS silver with red leather (first choice) and an 01 amulett red with grey leather. Both are 225HP.

Here's the kicker... the ALMS has every audi option including nav and a full stone guard protection on it and is at 25K miles. The red has a broken attena, screwed cluster and about 53K miles.

Price... The red one is floating around 17K while the ALMS is 28K. I could probably get it for 27K but not much less than that... I live in Canada and I would be importing the car up here (because belive it or not it's cheaper to get a loan with the conversion than what I'm paying for this Jetta).

I want to lean towards the ALMS but the cost factor in brining it up and then replacing the parts might be overwelming but the milage is awesome and I don't think it's been driven hard. The red is a sexy colour and I could probably go a little less since the attena and cluster is busted. I'd have to get some nice 18s for it (love that RS4) so that would dip into the budget a bit as well.

I'm more just speaking my mind to other owners of the car to see what the general feelings are. So feel free to just say what you would do in my shoes

As a side note does anyone know how much it costs to get out of a lease these days?
Old 07-18-2005, 09:14 AM

Default You know how quirky TT's can be... do you want one that was abused/neglected?

That's a big difference in price.

I'd imagine you can get them down lower on the ALMS, and it still has a warranty, in case something *does* go wrong...

Figure cost-avoidance into it, and I think you pretty much have to go with the ALMS.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:21 AM

if you go with the ALMS I'll swap you bumpers for the RIV inspection you'll need to go through
Old 07-18-2005, 09:34 AM

Default I'm not saying the red one was, just that it was more prone to it without stoneguard

And the fact the 02 still has a bit of warenty left is nice.

Any suggestion on how low I *could* go if I were to go lower? He said he would put 4 new tires on it as well any brand of my choice.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:34 AM

How can we do that? I wouldn't mind doing that until I saved up the cash to put the CDN ones on
Old 07-18-2005, 09:45 AM

Default once you bring the car into Canada you have 45 days to make changes and get the inspection done

You can ship the US bumpers to me and I'll ship mine with the CDN bumper pads to you. I want to swap to get rid of the tumors.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default 2nd...low mileage and it is an ALMS...that alone should eliminate the other option

the alternative isn't that attractive cept for the price.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:29 AM

I've heard of people that weren't allowed to cross the border unless the mods were made...
Old 07-18-2005, 11:37 AM

Yeah the price is what is working me right now... looks like i might have a lead for my bumper
Old 07-18-2005, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I would not suggest importing the car from the states unless you are saving atleast 5K CAD. Believe

me....I know. ....and 28K for 2002TT is ALOT! I saw one ALMS 1.5 years ago in mint shape with all options AND OEM body kit....rims....lets just say a WOW car with warranty sold by Audi at an auction for 38KCAD! Fast forward to today and put a 2K mark up...that car can DEF. be had for 35-36KCAD RETAIL. I'd def. check your choices first. (btw, I got my 2001, 225 with all options but NAV for 31KCAD at that very same auction with 78KM and Audi Assured warranty and again thats 1.5 years ago).

Other then that, I'd go for ALMS.

Quick Reply: Hey all :) I might be getting back into a TT again... but which one?!