TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

How many of us has had this happen and what's your take on it?

Old 01-06-2002, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many of us has had this happen and what's your take on it?

Was out today with my darling wife and she asked me to please take her home due to a common illness. She was begining to feel faint so we quickly darted to the SUV, not in the TT today, and began to rush home. About a 20 minute drive home from the Home Depot and I know she hates it when I go there. P.S. not a Depot related issue.

I went on the Sprain parkway and drove quickly home. In the process of speeding up the passing lane I ran into a cadilac in front of me and gave him a courtsey flash of the high beams. Guess what, he slows down! He had room on the right, more than I had at the distance when I flashed hime the lights, to move over and let me by.

My qustion is: when you get the flashing headlights from a motorist behind you do you move over or not?

You never know what the reason this person has to pass you but I think it is easier to avoid a conflict as well as a possible accident and just give way.
Old 01-06-2002, 01:39 PM
Elder Member

I usually downshift and speed away then pull over if he still wants to pass.
Old 01-06-2002, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I do but....>>>

Many drivers are idiots and take that flash as a challenge. Most have no idea what it means, The yahoos will refuse to yield, the idiots will slow down in confusion or just to **** you off. I have little tolerance for this and do not hesitate to make a quick pass on the right when it's safe and no gendarmes are about....
Old 01-06-2002, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where'd you learn that pull-over thing? Very Un-Joisey!
Old 01-06-2002, 01:44 PM

Default I generally pull over, although at times I will speed up . . . (updated)

. . . and <i>then</i> pull over. It depends on my mood (I'll be honest), and whether or not there's room to my right whether I do it immediately.

I was on the M5 heading into London once, and I saw a flash of lights behind me. Mind you, I had just pulled into the passing lane to get around a car that was doing about 95 in the slow lane. I looked back, saw that the way was clear, and pulled over. Before I was in the lane for more than three or four seconds, I was "flashed". I pulled back over into the left hand lane only to be passed by a jaguar traveling at about 150 miles an hour!
Old 01-06-2002, 01:48 PM

Default It depends (all good questions can be answered with that right?)

It depends on how I perceive the person's driving.

If they seem to be annoying people with how they are passing them I typically will NOT pull over as quickly. I see this more as them being rude.

If they continually flash their headlights I get out of the way right away (or earlier) because I perceive this as an emergency

If they seem to be being polite in how they are passing (only using the high-speed lane) I will move over as soon as a I can --- or take Joel's lead and speed up to get out of the way.

Typically people who flash their lights at the last second are just in a rush because they like to drive fast. If I'm driving faster than the speed limit and someone wants to slow me down I usually don't complain and flash my lights. If I was in a rush for a real reason I'd be flashing my lights more often than just when I got to their tail.
Old 01-06-2002, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default It depends.

If I am lagging behing a car ahead, if I can change lanes w/o losing my own momentum/ place in traffic, and the flasher has ridden behind me long enough for me to get the message - I will move over. If I am keeping no more than a safe distance behind a car in front of me and there is nowhere for the flasher to go (which is often the case), and he whips right up behind me and doesn't give me a chance to move over on my own - I will not move and I just may temporarily slow a bit to make the point. Be careful who you flash -once, after pulling over when I had a chance to do it, I gave a "courtesy" flash to a guy who had flashed me when I was right behind the car in front of me, and he absolutely locked up all 4 wheels right in front of me and went about 1/4 turn sideways. Luckily I had room on the right and whipped around him w/o getting hit. This was semi-rush hour at 70 mph.
Old 01-06-2002, 02:04 PM
Elder Member

Default Is she ok? I always get out of the way. Unless it's obvious that I can't then I just get annoyed.

Meaning if the right lane is full and I can't get over safely and I have someone flashing me to get over every 30 seconds or so, I'll probably ignore them. SOmeone frantically flashing needs to get by either because they have a legitimate reason or they have road rage!

BTW, don't use the phrase "ran into a Caddilac." Some of us had bad flashbacks to the literal interpretation of that phrase.

I hope your wife is OK.
Old 01-06-2002, 02:05 PM

Good point... some times you just can't get out of the way. I get annoyed then too
Old 01-06-2002, 02:08 PM

Better, She is sleeping now. Thanks for asking.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How many of us has had this happen and what's your take on it?