TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Hydraulic convertible fluid replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hydraulic convertible fluid replacement

How does one refill fluid to convertible top hydraulics. Audi TT QUATTRO 2001
Old 07-13-2017, 08:50 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I guess your pump is just whining instead of moving your top up or down. I read much in the rival UK forum about guys drilling holes and filling it with eyedroppers. There is a much better method. It took me two hours the first time and 25 minutes the 2nd. The pump lives in a cocoon under the rear deck behind the drivers seat. Move the drivers seat as far forward as possible. If you get your head just behind the rollbar you will see a little round flap in the black deck about 10" across. You can pry that up with a screwdriver and set it aside. You'll see the rubber foam that surrounds the pump and reservoir. There are hoses under there so cut with a short blade on the trunk side just enough to get your fingers in there. You can tear the 1/2" thick foam safely to open up a hole to see the pump. Once you get the pump exposed, you will need to remove two bolts, one on each side of the pump. Extension needed on the ratchet and helpful if magnetized. You will also, need to disconnect the electric connector that's in front of the reservoir towards the drivers door. This is difficult, if having trouble, move on to the trunk step below. To fill the reservoir, you need to slide the pump into the trunk. In the trunk, you will see that skinny little compartment way in the back about 24" across and 9" tall. This slides straight out when you pry the 2 keeper pins at the top. Once you get that out, you'll see your quest just to the left. I also carefully cut and tear that foam to access the pump. You'll see the black hoses running to the pump. These will stay connected to the pump but you need to pop them out of the little keepers attached to the shelf the pump is on. They look like they unscrew, but they are just pressed in there. So, back from the inside of the car, if you got those bolts out, lift the pump up and move it a little towards the trunk opening, then you can see that connector now. You need to squeeze it on two sides to get it to release, with one hand. Just kind a wiggle it with your fingers while holding the body in your palm. Once the connecter is free, get back in the trunk. You can then reach in and slide that pump out towards you. It won't come fully out due to the hoses, that's ok. You just want to swing it around to get the reservoir to the right. You then can see the max min and the fill hole covered by that large brass cover. Don't use jack oil. There are some differences in opinions but I used CHF 202, found at pepboys. There is not a lot of room so I used a plastic squirt bottle to fill to the max line. The pump is self priming but here's the thing: if you were really low, its going to use some fluid in the lines and that's going to drop your level. The fluid does seem to expand when warm so I would suggest not over filling, but rather fill to max, swivel if back in and connect the power and run the top. You can then see the level from the hole in the deck and if you are good, replace the bolts and the other bits. If it looks low again, you can fill it again. So as a note, I spent a lot of time trying to carefully cut and tear that rubber cover and ended up ripping the whole thing out so I could get the pump back in easier. I can't say my pump is any noisier with out it, and will make the job easier for the next time. I hope you don't have a leak in a line or seal because this job will only be temporary for you. I'll try to find my pics and get them up for you, good luck.
The following users liked this post:
TT250 (12-30-2021)
Old 07-13-2017, 09:31 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Pump with insulation uncovered under rear deck

This is the trunk access to the pump.

Pump is swiveled around to get to the brass cover for filling.

This is the space where the pump sits. You can see the bolts are above and below the motor. There's that darn connector, cussing helps!

Here is that cover, so much easier without that thing in the way!

Some pics:
Old 07-16-2017, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You gotta love the TT, so easy to service.
Old 07-17-2017, 04:24 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Convertible hydraulics

• Jet rider: Thanks for the very detailed info on accessing convertible pump. Sounds like quite an effort was put forth. Not sure I am willing to attempt at this time, but your pix and info are most valuable
  • Thanks,
  • Moemcg
Old 04-05-2021, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Convetible top issue- I got the motor out and replaced it.

=jetrider;25001310]
Pump with insulation uncovered under rear deck

This is the trunk access to the pump.

Pump is swiveled around to get to the brass cover for filling.

This is the space where the pump sits. You can see the bolts are above and below the motor. There's that darn connector, cussing helps!

Here is that cover, so much easier without that thing in the way!
Before i replaced the motor/pump assemble the top would only to DOWN not up. Now it goes UP which is great, but not down for storage. I tried switching the hydraulic tubes from one side to the other. that did't work. Do the relays control direction? Should I try switching the relays? Any advise is welcome. Daniel

Some pics:[/QUOTE]

Old 06-04-2021, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Daniel, I didn't disconnect the tubes and I think that plug only goes in one way, so I'm not sure of your issue. Its been a while so hope you sorted it!