TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Installing new Conrods

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing new Conrods

Has anyone installed new rods into their 1.8t yet? I recently found out that the rod manufacturer, Carrillo, is about 100 yards away from my work! I went over there to chat with the guys and they were really cool and helpful with finding the right rods for me.

With my intention to beef up my internals with stronger rods (for possible higher boost applications) I'm seriously considering installing these. Only problem is I've never done any internal engine work. How difficult is it for the 1.8t engine in general? TIA!
Old 03-25-2005, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I helped a guy do them seemed easy its just a lot of work geting the motor tore down and such....

its a good time to install better rings while your at it!...... and a differnt head gasket to drop your compression a tad if your going for lots of boost!...
Old 03-25-2005, 01:43 PM

Thanks for the quick reply! How time consuming was it. Did you drop the whole engine out of the car?
Old 03-25-2005, 01:45 PM

Default If you have to ask give it to a pro (no disrespect)>>

I worked on my TR6....but, if I screwed up.....el cheapo to fix.
Our motors?....hmmmm. Any internal workings need precision....bearings, end float...the works. If you're off.....big $$$$$ to set right.
As for needing rods......you have Stage 3 with bigger turbo......go for it and enjoy peace of mind. Many say you don't need 'em, that lotsa guys run big poop with no internal mods....
Think of it as an insurance policy....
Old 03-25-2005, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default no need to pull the motor...... but would make access to the motor easyer....

as the reach over the front end and such gets old along w/ all the stuff being in the way sort of..... but u can remove the bumper, tie stuff back and do it in the car..... not the end of the world..... just depends on what all u want to do...... if u were doing that id say go all out and get a passat AEB (i think thats the code) head and also find some one to make u a intake manifold to go w/ it.... as the aeb head/manifold is much larger in the intake port size and ud pick up lots of hp out of that swap....... read up on vortex about it..... were talking a bit of money but u get raw power that isnt going to take away from the car being reliable!.....
Old 03-25-2005, 01:53 PM

Default No offense taken. I had someone else install my Stage 3

but i want to get more involved with my car. I have many options in getting someone else to work on it.. but like alot of DIY'ers here.. I just want to learn and enjoy messing around with my car.

I understand the costs.. that's why I was even considering buying a used ATC block and starting on that from scratch.. so i don't hae to ruin my running block.

Yeah.. beefing up my internals is both a peace of mind + more potential for higher application tuning. Now just gotta reverse engineer our ECU module ^_^;;

Thanks again.

-daniel
Old 03-25-2005, 01:54 PM

Default Ooo... do your recommend this over going from a custom from the likes

of Eurospec Sport? (http://www.eurospecsport.com/20vhead.htm)
Old 03-25-2005, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

where do you live?
Old 03-25-2005, 01:57 PM

LA. Work in South Orange County. You?
Old 03-25-2005, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Burbank, about 15 minutes north of LA. Damn, you have a long commute.

Quick Reply: Installing new Conrods