TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

iPod Interface...too many choices!

Old 03-30-2010, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPod Interface...too many choices!

I've been digging through the archives and it seems like there's several solutions out there.

If you had a Concert radio (no Bose) (and wanted to keep it) and you wanted iPod integration, iPod charging, play Pandora from an iPhone, and perhaps the option to add a Bluetooth module (Parrot for example)....which interface would you pick?

I don't have a CD changer, but I have a factory Sirius Sat that I'll gladly disconnect if needed.

Thanks!
Old 03-31-2010, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by enoreeriver
I've been digging through the archives and it seems like there's several solutions out there.

If you had a Concert radio (no Bose) (and wanted to keep it) and you wanted iPod integration, iPod charging, play Pandora from an iPhone, and perhaps the option to add a Bluetooth module (Parrot for example)....which interface would you pick?

I don't have a CD changer, but I have a factory Sirius Sat that I'll gladly disconnect if needed.

Thanks!
I have a 2001 with a GROM unit, around $90 about 30 minute install with the radio keys.

I also had a Blitzsafe which was about $10 less, but ending up moving it to our other Audi A4.

Both of the newer versions of these units will work with the Concert and your iPhone. No bluetooth however.

The blitzsafe requires that you use the iPhone music controls to play back thru the stereo, only the audio controls are used on the concert (volume, tone, balance etc)

The GROM is similar to the Blitsafe except that you also have an option of running (5)playlists by using the CD changer controls.

CD 1 is using the ipod controls to switch tracks.
CD 2-6 Are playlists.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:13 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

I'm a big fan of our DICE adapter kits. Still no bluetooth but they do integrate steering wheel controls and forward the iPod text to your head unit. One additional slick bit with the DICE kits is that they have an AUX port so you can keep your sat radio if you'd like.

Click here for DICE kit options
Phone: 1.800.924.5172 - Sales: 8:30am to MIDNIGHT EST | Customer Service 8:30am - 8pm EST
Questions? PM us for a quick response! | Email: Pete@ecstuning.com
Old 04-03-2010, 12:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Wouldn't an ordinary car speakers that has an AC/DC outlet simply work for this? Is there really a need to install a separate sound system to integrate an ipod? I'm a newbie, obviously. If there isn't, Audi S4 should invent something like this so a streamless integration may be made possible.
Old 04-03-2010, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CarsMakeLove
Wouldn't an ordinary car speakers that has an AC/DC outlet simply work for this? Is there really a need to install a separate sound system to integrate an ipod? I'm a newbie, obviously. If there isn't, Audi S4 should invent something like this so a streamless integration may be made possible.
No, and he's not talking about a sound system just an adapter.

His car was built in 2001, what was the status of the iPod in 2001?

New Audis have this this is for an older car.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:20 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for all the responses. I am finding that I'm pretty disappointed in the factory speakers. I've done lots of installs in other cars and might have to end up doing so for the TT.

2 questions:

1. If I decide to keep the factory setup, is there a way that I can just disconnect my Sat tuner in the trunk and put my iPod back there? I typically just keep my iPod on shuffle so as long as I can use the head unit to skip to the next track, I'm good. I'm not opposed to pulling out the head unit to install an interface, but I don't want the Sat tuner and if I can just use its connectors to hook up my iPod, problem solved.

2. I have not found a head unit out there that I like the looks of. I might be willing to look into the idea of adding an amp, new speakers back and front, and no head unit. I'd just get a mount for my iPhone and run the iPhone directly to the amp. I'd either leave the head unit in place (but not use it) or if there is a radio delete shelf that would replace it, that would make a nice storage compartment? I don't need FM, AM, Sat or CD, so really the iPhone would satisfy all my needs for a head unit. I just need to hear it and hear it well.
Old 04-10-2010, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm considering better sounding speakers so I'm not sure which direction to pursue.

On one hand, I'm considering the idea of 6.5 components in the front and small subs in the back, 4 channel amplifier, and instead of a new head unit, I'm wondering about just using my iPhone as my music source. I am assuming that its no problem to connect an iPhone dock straight into the RCA inputs of a car amplifier?

If that's more than I decide to get into, could I ditch the Sat Radio tuner in the trunk and perhaps just connect my old iPod to that wiring? Is there a wiring adapter that would let me plug my iPod into the existing Sat Radio wiring in the back of the car? I leave the iPod on shuffle and just need to be able to skip to the next track with the factory head unit.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for all the replies! One more question. If I just wanted to unplug my Sat tuner (remove it actually) and put my iPod back there, is there a wiring adapter that would let me do so? I don't really need my iPod in reach...i leave it on shuffle. As long as I can use the head unit to skip to the next track, I'm good.

Thanks!
Old 04-12-2010, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I went ahead and took some pictures of the connectors that plug into the Sat tuner in the trunk. Is there an adapter that will let me plug this into my iPod, charge the iPod, and let me skip tracks from the head unit?

Thanks!
Old 04-13-2010, 06:48 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

As far as I know, those dice kits are the closest and easiest thing that you are requesting. I am unaware of anything that can plug right into the sat tuner location and allow your IPOD to play through.
Phone: 1.800.924.5172 - Sales: 8:30am to MIDNIGHT EST | Customer Service 8:30am - 8pm EST
Questions? PM us for a quick response! | Email: Pete@ecstuning.com