TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

For Janet: another trick for adjusting mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-1999, 10:00 AM
Chuck

Default For Janet: another trick for adjusting mirrors

Janet:

I learned an easy-to-remember technique on the correct way to align mirrors at a performance driving school last year. I always thought that I knew how to adjust them until I learned otherwise. Read on . . .

Adjusting the Driver’s Side Mirror

Resting your head on your left shoulder, turn the driver’s side mirror out until you can just see the side of the car. (I usually line up the door handle with the bottom of the mirror, too, but you may need to adjust this up or down depending on your height.)

Adjusting the Passenger’s Side Mirror

Rest your head on your right shoulder, leaning slightly to the right (I generally rest my right elbow on the passenger seat to get the correct angle.) Again, turn the mirror out until you can just see the right side of the car.

Adjusting the Rearview Mirror

Starting with the mirror facing toward you, adjust the rearview mirror by turning it to the right just past the point where you can see your right ear.

You can check to make sure they’re properly adjusted by watching traffic in your mirrors. You should be able to see a car passing in a left-hand lane move from your driver’s side mirror to your rearview mirror. (I know I’ve aligned it just right when the car is split between the two as it passes.) Similarly, a car on the right is visible in both the rearview and passenger side mirror, although I find there’s generally some overlap. You can also check by having someone walk around your car.

This alignment takes a little getting used to, but it will give you a 180-degree view. You’ll begin to notice that cars passing on either side, particularly on the left, are much easier to see, regardless of the type of car you drive. I still look to over my shoulder to check my blind spot -- it’s a force of habit -- but I find I already know what’s there!

Chuck
Old 12-22-1999, 11:17 AM
Janet

Default THANKS, Chuck.....just printed your post and will take it into the TT with me!! (nt)

nt
Old 12-22-1999, 01:01 PM
D-TTrain

Thanks Chuck! That's one for the permanent personal archives!
Old 12-23-1999, 06:45 AM
mne

Then theres the Italian method: No one gets by me & whats behind me does NOT concern me;-)
Old 12-23-1999, 03:01 PM
Marius B

Default I'd rather recommend that you adjust your mirrors so that you get the entire rear sector without...

... moving your head. Throwing your head about disrupts your balance, but your eyes can move quicker, with no detrimental side effects. Your periferal vison will pick up flashing headlights, even when your mind is drifting.

Yes, I DID spend (waste) a couple of miles today, behind a guy who was comfortably chatting away with his passenger, in the left lane, having adjusted all his mirrors so that he would have to move his head to be disturbed by other traffic.
Old 10-16-2000, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks... so I'm not crazy when I set my mirrors that far out.

Seemed to make sense to me, but I got the feeling from others that they didn't like NOT seeing the side of the car in the mirror...no frame of reference.

I like it the way you described though.