TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Just got back from Sebring DE with the TT

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2003, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got back from Sebring DE with the TT

Well, I must say today was a little bitter sweet for the TTQR. First off, my biggest concern going into the event was the brakes and their ability to hold up to a tough braking track like Sebring. Let me tell you they NEVER FADED!!! Not once.. I am running EBC Red Stuff, Slotted & Drilled rotors and Motul 600.. and yes I am very hard on brakes, 50% of the pad is gone..Now off to the bitter part. My car ran so hot the temp warning flashed on me 2 out of 4 sessions and my temp needle was 3/4. I was running a bra for protection so I removed it in an attempt to increase airflow. It helped a tad.. I also cranked the heat up to full blast on my last session and it never flashed the warning light. I hope there is a mechanical problem with my cooling system and this can be rectified. It is very annoying to have to pit after 4 laps because your are on the verge of overheating. It got so hot the car would only pull 12psi on the back straight?? I filled up with 100 octane and this helped me regain my boost somewhat. I ran my street tires, 225/40/18 Kumho MX's. They held up well but started to fall off the grip scale latter on in the day. Time for some R compounds. I would like to hear from fello TT owners that track their car about the cooling situation. I met a local RS6 owner on Thursday who warned me about the overheating because it happened to him @ Sebring with his old TT225. Temp today was 85 degrees.. I am running a FMIC, Revo SPS3 (I had it set very conservatively) cat back,Forge intake, Power Gasket,Koni/Eibachs..
Old 09-13-2003, 04:53 PM

Default I ran Sebring in January, no heat problem then (froze my * the first day).

It dipped to 28°F in the wee hours, concern on the orange crop, but not cold long enough to damage.
Old 09-13-2003, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: I ran Sebring in January, no heat problem then (froze my * the first day).

Im going to run again in December, hopefully it will be cooler.
Old 09-13-2003, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default My car has an FMIC

which concerned me at first as it would block cooling - and it does to a degree. Even so, 110 on the track (not sure general air temp) at NHIS in July and the car only ran 1 tick higher than mid center. Speed at best was about 115, but on turns, less. I always turn the AC on the COOL DOWN lap and then run it and the car for some minutes in the pit, hood open. Never had an overheat yet and I seem to have a problem with my right foot - it goes to the floor often!

BTW I'm suprised at your good luck with brakes - I faded mine good and took the pads to nothing - not as bad as John! - and moved up to stoptechs cause the fade was scaring me... course I was all stock parts before the change.
Old 09-13-2003, 07:51 PM

Default I've done a few DE's in a 225TT and had the same problem. After...

confirming there was nothing obvious wrong with the car I just ran a cool down lap or two after the temp got high. No problems with performance for me but the car was stock, no boost monitor other than my a$$, so I can't comment on that part. ;-)
No problems with brakes either, excpet for that one time I left the ****e ESP on. Not a fun time, I hate being second guessed by a car.
Old 09-14-2003, 03:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: My car has an FMIC

I am going to look into the new green temp coolant sensor..Maybe that's the problem...
Old 09-14-2003, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My TT has been running hot lately...and who sponsored the event?

I also live in FL, lin the past week my TT has gone near the H on the temp guage several times. Of course it doesn't do it when I go to the service department...
I live about 100 miles from Sebring. I have done at least 1000 miles on that track, but all on motorcycles. I would love to get the TT out on the track. Who sponsored the event.
Bobby H
'01 225 TTQ Coupe
...mods
Old 09-14-2003, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Safe Motorsports

Go to their site..I will be running Sebring again in December.<ul><li><a href="http://www.safemotorsports.com/">http://www.safemotorsports.com/</a</li></ul>
Old 09-14-2003, 10:50 AM

Default Mine overheated at Texas Motor Speedway recently

Granted...it was the middle of summer and a hot day, but in the past my needle never went past the middle mark. Oil Temps were normal for the track (about 220F) according to my oil temp gauge. I was about half way through the first session and the warning light came on. I put the car in stock mode and kept a better eye on it. Still got pretty hot and boost wasn't consistant...but it didn't overheat again.

I have the Green Cooling Sensor already, so I am not sure what happened. I am going to have to keep an eye on it. I might also do a complete flush and refill of the coolant with a perfect 50/50 mix. I have heard that the wrong mix can cause overheating problems with the 1.8T...this is speculation, not proven fact.

My car is 3 years old and has been to the track several times (15+) with no problems.

-Ryan E.
Old 09-14-2003, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Hmm, don't know but can't hurt..