TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Lack of power at opertating temperature. ideas?? help!

Old 06-05-2010, 04:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default Lack of power at opertating temperature. ideas?? help!

i have a 2001 225hp/quatro amu. the car has a little over 100 miles on it. runs great. everything works great. Im a mechanic so the car gets very well maintained. my thermostat is sticking a bit, the temp gauge goes down 1 tick on colder days or when i drive higheway speeds for a while, but the car never overheats. going to change the stat asap.
my main problem is, when i first get in my car in the morning, let it warm up 1 or 2 ticks, if i punch it the car really moves. once it gets up to operating temp, the needle right in the middle of the temp gauge, the car feels a bit slower, almost feels like the cars not getting enough air or as if the exhaust was plugged. it still runs smooth and i dont have any noises or surging. i have an apr flash on the car if that may be acting up. my second problem is at idle i get a tiny shake in the engine that feels like a misfire once in a while. no codes for it, the engine just kinda jerks for a split second and then its ok. its more frequent when the engine is at operating temp once again.
i'm stuck and would like to fix these 2 little issues.
the only thing i can think of is the coils get weak after they warm up in the middle of the head and they are producing weaker spark, which would explain my lack of power and my suspected misfire. anyone have any issues like this? let me know if you have any ideas. thanks guys!
Old 06-06-2010, 01:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ouwdee
i have a 2001 225hp/quatro amu. the car has a little over 100 miles on it. runs great. everything works great. Im a mechanic so the car gets very well maintained. my thermostat is sticking a bit, the temp gauge goes down 1 tick on colder days or when i drive higheway speeds for a while, but the car never overheats. going to change the stat asap.
my main problem is, when i first get in my car in the morning, let it warm up 1 or 2 ticks, if i punch it the car really moves. once it gets up to operating temp, the needle right in the middle of the temp gauge, the car feels a bit slower, almost feels like the cars not getting enough air or as if the exhaust was plugged. it still runs smooth and i dont have any noises or surging. i have an apr flash on the car if that may be acting up. my second problem is at idle i get a tiny shake in the engine that feels like a misfire once in a while. no codes for it, the engine just kinda jerks for a split second and then its ok. its more frequent when the engine is at operating temp once again.
i'm stuck and would like to fix these 2 little issues.
the only thing i can think of is the coils get weak after they warm up in the middle of the head and they are producing weaker spark, which would explain my lack of power and my suspected misfire. anyone have any issues like this? let me know if you have any ideas. thanks guys!
ok so your little jerks are from coil packs, and maybe, just maybe spark plugs...but most likely coil packs. I can almost guarantee this. if you have a chipped car, get something one heat range colder than stock, such as NGK BKR7E spark plugs gapped at .28. just buy a set of coil packs (because you save a little buying them together) and wait until you get a code. the other issue with less power...that is how these cars run. the thing will be a beast in the winter after 1 tick and just before regular temp. it just will be more powerful because less heat is going through the car for a limited period of time. also, the hoses in the car start to get a little flimsy after they warm up. when this happens, they collapse. the collapsed feeling is mend-able by getting steel pipes or forge hoses all around. I shot straight for it and replaced all of the upper boost hoses and the TIP with forge silicone hoses, as well as a DV relocation kit(which is seriously stiff).

most importantly, the TIP collapses on a chipped 1.8T. the rubber hoses is just not meant for the increased amount of air flying through it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOT5mgHw1yA

the best thing to start with is the TIP. maybe even say F it and see if you can find a metal one or get a quote for a fabbed one.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

awesome thanks. i have platinum plugs in the car right now. put em in about a month ago. gapped at .028 as far as i remember.
i have every hose replaced with an apr silicone one on the engine, and i have the turbo inlet replaced as well. dont the coils have lifetime warranty on them?
Old 06-07-2010, 04:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ouwdee
awesome thanks. i have platinum plugs in the car right now. put em in about a month ago. gapped at .028 as far as i remember.
i have every hose replaced with an apr silicone one on the engine, and i have the turbo inlet replaced as well. dont the coils have lifetime warranty on them?
oh noo noo. coil packs cannot be good for life on a chipped/modified car. I wish though. they are being used with regapped plugs too. this all just messes with the coil pack and stresses it out. the 1.8t is notorious for this kind of failure. o well.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

ohh ok. i thought ive seen someone mention on the forums that coil packs have lifetime on them. anyways. where would be a good place to buy a set? anywhere online?
Old 06-07-2010, 03:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default !

This thread is a good one. I seem to have the same problem. Every once and a while a rough idle(replaced the maf and they have lessened still get them prob because I didn't buy a bosch)/slight jerk of the engine when i start it and lack of power at operating temp. I can feel a lil jerk like it is ready to really go then it lags(prob because I have the 180 version and it has over 100k on it). I also get a weird sputter almost? (hard to explain) every once in awhile when I turn the car off. Idk if that is coil pack related or not. All of which don't happen very often and she always starts up and runs pretty smooth. I'm going to replace the coils very soon.. Does it matter what kind? I found a set of coils for 120 after shipping. Recommendation for spark plugs?

Also where is a good place to find forged hoses? I've been looking at ttstuff.com and they have all the forged hoses just wasn't sure if there was another site that has them.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Buy the coil packs at the dealer. there was a recent recal, so call them up and they might give them to you for free. i love how people regap there plugs on the 1.8t. there is no real need because of the ME7. use the plugs from audi, at the stock specified gap, you will get the best results.

Also check your CTS with vag com, or if you don't have vag com, just replace it, there pretty cheap and that sensor will cause some of the issues that you having.