TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Larry - Something you posted a while back has me thinking.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2000, 10:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Larry - Something you posted a while back has me thinking.

You posted some comments on ESP and the Quattro system getting 'in a fight' (ok you didn't say that, but that's the nutshell version of your nice post) and with the recent snow on the ground I have played with ESP and turned off ESP on snowy roads to see what you said in action without trying to peel out on dry pavement.

I just don't see it. Maybe I'm not as agressive as needed to be to get the reactions you were describing, or maybe the Blizzak's are hindering my testing.

Example:

90 degree corner, unplowed, about 3" of snow that has been packed down by some traffic. No one in sight.

Take corner like I'm on dry pavement with ESP enabled at about 25 - 30 MPH. ESP light goes bonzer, I take the corner quite good for that much snow, no sliding around like I enjoy every now and then.

I then turn around (much to the wonderment of my wife, I believe something about what the hell you doing was uttered) and turned OFF ESP and did the same thing.

This time, a little more concerning, I'm fairly certain all four wheels are spinning and I have low to now control as long as throttle is engaged. Once wheels start spinning this is where I believe the Blizzak's grabbed the snow surface and started to move me along. the direction the wheels were pointing.

OK, my thoughts on this are ESP did what it was intended.

Now, I get on a straight road, covered in snow, and do a standing take off at a good clip, but not rev to 4000 RPMs / drop teh clutch kind of take off. More of a Smooth start in first then punch to the red for the first three gears.

ESP ON - Light is flickering like a candle but RPM climb is semi-smooth as well as acceleration.

ESP OFF - A lot of the power was lost in some side-side drift as wheel as lots of airborne snow going straight up off the wheels. There was a bit of non-movement then something grabbed and I was off like a shot, as before.

I was wishing I had some sort of system that could tell me what wheels had power at this point to know if I was using only the front wheels (as you described) or if both drive trains were engaged. I can't tell 'by feel' because I've been in front wheel drive cars for so long I've forgotten how it feels to be in a rear wheel drive situation.

What do you think? Did I just validate what you were talking about? Or does ESP take into account the Quattro system and do some balancing, at least in a snow situation?
Old 12-30-2000, 07:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESP mainly deals with unwanted yaw (sideways rotation)

If the car registers yaw that conflicts with your steering, it will try to correct that, mainly by power reduction and careful one-wheel braking, or, if you're already braking, adjusting individual brakes to the same effect. ABS, ASR, EDL and the Haldex control are still there as sub-systems under the ESP umbrella, as available tools for the ESP "mastermind", and they're all supposed to work in harmony.