TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

LED Headlight swap recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LED Headlight swap recommendations

Just picked up an '02 roadster with 95k.
This is my first Audi since the '86 5000s that I used to beat on in high school.
I absolutely love it.
Except that I really miss the adaptive HIDs my daily driver have (bmw wagon).

From what I can tell, adaptive HIDs weren't ever offered for the MK1's, so best I can do is just something a little brighter.

Has anyone else tried swapping to LEDs for headlights (for people that currently have halogens)?

Since every car has a different reflector and ours use projectors (at least for the low beam), I imagine that looking at reviews of which bulbs will look right and which will look terrible are essentially pointless unless the review is testing *using an mk1 TT*.

As such... looking for recs for what might be a good option for our cars (lots of good reviews mixed with 'this is garbage' for just about every option out there...)

Thanks!

PS: Yes I've tried searching, and there are essentially only two results, someone else asking exactly the same thing i am, and deautoleds. deautoleds responses are useless to me unless they are actually showing review units *with an Mk1 TT*.
Old 09-07-2017, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 124 Likes on 90 Posts

I feel your pain.. My '01 TT Coupe Quat has the crappiest HIDs I've ever used, honestly. I don't know if it's weak ballasts, old bulbs, or just poopy lenses. The outer assembly lens is clear and clean, but driving in the dark every day, I can tell you they are horrible to see with. My 2014 VW CC HIDs are bright enough to make flowers bloom. I don't know what would be the best option for correcting, and I don't want to throw money away on something that might not work..