TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Looking for 3d printer design...

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for 3d printer design...

Hi all, I recently bought a 2001 Audi TT roadster. The rear storage lid (manufacture part number 8N786884524A) won't stay latched closed. The little tit that latches is cracked off. So my thought was I could 3d print one and replace it. Does anyone have one they could scan for me. I'm only looking for the back or inside part of the lid that had the tit on it. I'm thinking I could slice away that part off mine and maybe glue the 3d printed part back on. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Old 01-23-2018, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Dimensions for the latch feature in the attached picture in millimeters. I recently bought this lid new from an Audi dealer for $160 which is probably less than the cost to get it printed commercially from a decent 3D printed process but if you have access to a machine you can do it inexpensively. The 3D part is going to have a small fraction of the strength of the injection molded part and will fail immediately if printed such that the layers of the print are put in shear when the latch is closed. I would definitely not print it in that orientation.

Old 01-23-2018, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default What about the whole lid?

What about 3d printing the whole inside part (black plastic that the tit protrudes from)? Do you think that would be strong enough?
Old 01-23-2018, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

In my opinion, no. The latch feature is in tension when it is used so you want to build the part with layers oriented strongest in tension there. Printing the entire part that way would make it extremely weak in shear along the long dimensions, I'm guessing it would snap as soon as you tried to pull it open. If you are using a laser sintering 3D printing process as opposed to a hobby type 3D printer the strength between layers is far better but with any 3D printed part you will not get the strength of the original part and it failed. If you are set against a new part and want to make the latch work I might try a piece of bent sheet metal of the right size and epoxy it or pop rivet it to the larger part. Or do what the previous owner of my car did and just epoxy the lid shut and forget about it.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Haha "epoxy it shut". That's awesome. Well you've successfully persuaded me to not 3d print it. Thank you for the measurements though, I'll figure out something whether sheet metal like you said or just bite the bullet and visit the dealership.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

I thought it was crazy to epoxy it shut but...since I have fixed the lid I haven't touched it so if I left it epoxied shut I wouldn't have noticed any difference. My local dealer was more expensive than buying online even with shipping. I'm not advocating any particular source but I got mine here.
Old 01-23-2018, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks again man, i might go the sheet metal route. My brother works at a sheet metal shop so I can get them to cut me a piece and then I can cut it according to the dimensions you gave me.
Old 01-24-2018, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

My son "L Bracketed" his when his "tit thing" broke. Used good L Brackets shaped at the correct angle. Worked fine for a couple years until he took out the back seats and made a larger storage area.
Old 08-18-2022, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

As I would like to think, no. The lock highlight is in pressure when it is utilized so you need to assemble the part with layers arranged most grounded in strain there. Printing the whole part that way would make it very feeble in shear along the long aspects, I'm getting it would snap when you attempted to pull it open. On the off chance that you are utilizing a laser sintering 3D instead of a side interest type 3D printer the strength between layers is obviously better however with any 3D printed part you won't get the strength of the first part and it fizzled. On the off chance that you are set against another part and need to make the hook work I could attempt a piece of bowed sheet metal of the right size and epoxy it or pop bolt it to the bigger part. Or on the other hand do what the past proprietor of my vehicle did and simply epoxy the cover shut and just drop it.

Last edited by uberwgn; 08-18-2022 at 10:34 AM. Reason: advertising hyperlink removed