TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Lost my only key away from home

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 08:44 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost my only key away from home

I was down visiting friends in my old college town about an hour and a half away from home and I lost my only key at the bars. I realized this the next day (Sunday) when I had to leave to go home. I called a local locksmith and he told me he would attempt to make a new key by reading the lock for $300. He tried for about an 2.5 hours and gave up. Luckily, my brother lives nearby and he let me borrow his car for the day so I could make it home for work the next day. While at work, I called around to the local dealerships and asked them if they could make a key for me. I learned that they would need to order the key in and have the car there to program it. Not helpful. I called the same locksmith and asked him if he would be willing to give it another try, he told me to ask the dealerships for the key cut code, if he had that he could cut the key and program it with his equipment. I did that and St. Paul Audi gave me the key code. I called the locksmith and he successfully made a new key. I drove back down to the car with my brothers car and picked it up but there is a strange problem with the new key. The whole time when the engine is running the interlock symbol blinks and their are some weird symptoms when I try to lock the doors with the key.
Typically, when I lock the doors the horn gives a short beep and the light on the door starts to blink. Now, when I lock the door, there is no beep and the light seems to blink some sort of code. If I remember right it blink something like five times pauses, and repeats. Not that big of a deal, but after a while the alarm starts going off! Once in a while, I can get the horn to go, or get it locked without the light blinking and then there aren't any problems but I have been leaving my car unlocked when I cant get it to go to avoid the alarm.
I have access to a VAGCOM tool, and I just bought a $20 blank flip key off ebay. I think I will just try to get the new one cut and program it, hopefully it will work normally. I can just use the other one as a spare.

Has anyone heard of these symptoms?

Thanks,
-Cody
Old 02-13-2013, 03:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Codenamecody
I was down visiting friends in my old college town about an hour and a half away from home and I lost my only key at the bars. I realized this the next day (Sunday) when I had to leave to go home. I called a local locksmith and he told me he would attempt to make a new key by reading the lock for $300. He tried for about an 2.5 hours and gave up. Luckily, my brother lives nearby and he let me borrow his car for the day so I could make it home for work the next day. While at work, I called around to the local dealerships and asked them if they could make a key for me. I learned that they would need to order the key in and have the car there to program it. Not helpful. I called the same locksmith and asked him if he would be willing to give it another try, he told me to ask the dealerships for the key cut code, if he had that he could cut the key and program it with his equipment. I did that and St. Paul Audi gave me the key code. I called the locksmith and he successfully made a new key. I drove back down to the car with my brothers car and picked it up but there is a strange problem with the new key. The whole time when the engine is running the interlock symbol blinks and their are some weird symptoms when I try to lock the doors with the key.
Typically, when I lock the doors the horn gives a short beep and the light on the door starts to blink. Now, when I lock the door, there is no beep and the light seems to blink some sort of code. If I remember right it blink something like five times pauses, and repeats. Not that big of a deal, but after a while the alarm starts going off! Once in a while, I can get the horn to go, or get it locked without the light blinking and then there aren't any problems but I have been leaving my car unlocked when I cant get it to go to avoid the alarm.
I have access to a VAGCOM tool, and I just bought a $20 blank flip key off ebay. I think I will just try to get the new one cut and program it, hopefully it will work normally. I can just use the other one as a spare.

Has anyone heard of these symptoms?

Thanks,
-Cody
cody,u have to call the dealership with vin# then they have to order by vin,takes about 1wk to get the key and then they have to code it to the car,no one else can do this,ebay is a waste of time and money,so is the key guy,hope that helps kid,sry,
Old 02-13-2013, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by audi01a6
cody,u have to call the dealership with vin# then they have to order by vin,takes about 1wk to get the key and then they have to code it to the car,no one else can do this,ebay is a waste of time and money,so is the key guy,hope that helps kid,sry,

Agreed, the OP is confusing the key with the immobilizer system. They are two separate things.There is an RFID chip in the key.

The only way to do this correctly is go see the dealer. And this is par for the course for pretty much any modern car nowadays. Always have a spare key otherwise it will cost you $$$$.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:28 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Just to clarify, I have not gone to the dealer and I have a key that allows the car to run and drive. I don't know the name of the exact tool that this particular locksmith used; it did not require the car to be towed back to a shop.

If I understand correctly (correct me if I'm not) the key is one component in the immobilizer system. The RFID chip in the key sends a code the the key cylinder; without this, the car will not start. The other three components needed to allow the car to start are the gauge cluster (sometimes a different component on other cars), the ecu, and of course the key cylinder with its associated electronics.

I have since reviewed my bently manual and it says that the flashing immobilizer symbol with the engine running indicates that the fixed code portion of the key is correct, but the variable code portion is not. This doesn't really change my current strategy for fixing it.

Also, why is it scripture that only the audi dealers can do this type of service? Yes, they do have access to their database that allows them to access the key code and ecu pin # but this is nothing more than any joe shmoe can do with some general VAG tools. I have my key code and computer pin # on hand right now. I got the pin from the locksmith and the key code from the dealer because the locksmith couldn't seem to read it from the lock.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just to clarify, I have not gone to the dealer and I have a key that allows the car to run and drive. I don't know the name of the exact tool that this particular locksmith used; it did not require the car to be towed back to a shop.

If I understand correctly (correct me if I'm not) the key is one component in the immobilizer system. The RFID chip in the key sends a code the the key cylinder; without this, the car will not start. The other three components needed to allow the car to start are the gauge cluster (sometimes a different component on other cars), the ecu, and of course the key cylinder with its associated electronics.

I have since reviewed my bently manual and it says that the flashing immobilizer symbol with the engine running indicates that the fixed code portion of the key is correct, but the variable code portion is not. This doesn't really change my current strategy for fixing it.

Also, why is it scripture that only the audi dealers can do this type of service? Yes, they do have access to their database that allows them to access the key code and ecu pin # but this is nothing more than any joe shmoe can do with some general VAG tools. I have my key code and computer pin # on hand right now. I got the pin from the locksmith and the key code from the dealer because the locksmith couldn't seem to read it from the lock.
Good luck then, keep bus fare in your pocket though.

My spare key was $66 from the dealer ordered by VIN, half hour labor to program all the keys.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Have done some research and have found some people saying only dealership can make a spare key, where others use locksmith and program themselves. I recently bought a 2001 audi tt quattro which did not come with any spare keys. I would like to have a spare key just as a back up and also another key to install a remote starter for now in the winter. My plan was to order two blank keys with the unlock/lock buttons off of amazon and get the blanks cut by a locksmith (family friend-no cost) and then take them to the dealership to program the keys ( 30$ a piece). The keys from amazon do NOT come with any internal chip or battery. Will the chip be needed to program the keys or will the cut key itself be enough to program the keys and be able to unlock/lock the car as well as start the engine and allow me to drive. All I am looking for is a way to get 2 spare programmed keys that will allow me to lock/unlock the car manually if necessary and to start and drive the car. Any feedback is greatly appreciated

Thanks, Vince
Old 03-11-2016, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 44 Posts

Audi has a certification program for select qualified locksmiths to sell and code keys.
Old 03-12-2016, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Also, why is it scripture that only the audi dealers can do this type of service?
You just told us why. Your old, lost key allowed the car to function perfectly. You new key has the car behaving differently. You can live with the differences and call it good; But then you wouldn't have posted your story here noting the issues you are having.

Don't be surprised when some other mysterious circumstance reveals itself with your TT. Be ready to haul it to a dealer without any advance notice.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Any good Locksmith can make you a key without removing he locks, this could be expensive. The other options is to just buy a new lock set with keys, not that expensive. The only trouble I see with the latter may be removing the cylinder from the column without the key.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I agree with Mr. Odisjohnson, most automotive locksmiths can provide people with a dealer equivalent car key replacement service at a very affordable cost and at their location.Locksmith travels to them and are able to pull a key code based on their vehicle identification number (VIN), then cut & program an OEM or an aftermarket key on-site.

Quick Reply: Lost my only key away from home