TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Low Beam Headlight Turning Off

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Beam Headlight Turning Off

HI,
I have a 2000 Audi TT Quattro with the factory HID headlights. Our right low beam headlight has been turning off after a minute or two of being turned on. If I cycle the headlight switch off and on, it comes back on then it will shut down again.
I have searched and read many posts on this and I have replace the bulb, ballast (which on this model is mounted on the chasis vs. on the side of the light assembly), the igniter (which is inside the headlight assembly), and the problem continues.
I would sincerely appreciate any assistance or suggestions for this issue.
Thanks for your time and assistance..
Old 02-09-2019, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Verify that voltage is reaching the ballast even after the light shuts down. Once you have this isolated, you can troubleshoot using standard automotive electrical system troubleshooting techniques.
Old 02-09-2019, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
Verify that voltage is reaching the ballast even after the light shuts down. Once you have this isolated, you can troubleshoot using standard automotive electrical system troubleshooting techniques.
Thank you Mister Bally,
I'll be traveling this week, but will check this as soon as I return. I am not sure as to how to measure the voltage (pins on the connector and whatnot), but, we'll look this up this week and get it tested.
Old 02-09-2019, 05:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Likely you have a wiring/connector issue. As current flows heat is created, causing terminals and connections to expand or 'change state'.
As MB suggested, check for voltage delivery to the ballast with a digital volt/ohm meter when the lamp malfunctions. If voltage is present,
TURN OFF the headlamps, and follow the wiring to the headlamp bulb and check each connection. Also check grounds for clean/tight connections.
Ballasted HID's run on high voltage, hence the lightning bolt warning. Look for terminals that are blackened, loose or not tight in their sockets.
There are a number of posts on multiple forums regarding light malfunctions due to wiring and terminations INSIDE the headlamp assembly being
damaged or weak with insulation missing.
Be cautious, use your eyes and trace the fault. It can be found.
If voltage is lost to the ballast, then your trace route is back to the headlamp switch, fuses and wiring applying to that circuit.

Last edited by oldroller; 02-09-2019 at 05:15 PM.
Old 02-09-2019, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you Old Roller,
I just put the light assembly back together earlier today and I did see a piece of insulation missing on one wrap of wires, but no wires were visible. I'll look at removing the assembly next weekend when I return and trace the wiring out.