TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Lower Front Drivers Grill Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 10:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lower Front Drivers Grill Question

The car in questions is a 2001 TT Quattro 225.

A while back the lower front grill on the drivers (US) fell out. Im pretty sure i popped it loose when i bumped a curb sometime ago.

I recently purchased a new used part. When going to snap it in I realized that there is actually an intake or cooler of some kind behind that grill.

the grill I bought has a solid plastic plate blocking off the intake.

My question is, Is that the right grill? or is there a different part for the Quattro 225 models that are more open to allow air to flow in?
Old 03-11-2018, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by eatumup
The car in questions is a 2001 TT Quattro 225.

A while back the lower front grill on the drivers (US) fell out. Im pretty sure i popped it loose when i bumped a curb sometime ago.

I recently purchased a new used part. When going to snap it in I realized that there is actually an intake or cooler of some kind behind that grill.

the grill I bought has a solid plastic plate blocking off the intake.

My question is, Is that the right grill? or is there a different part for the Quattro 225 models that are more open to allow air to flow in?
If it is the center grill, no it is not an intake. However it does go to the radiator, so you will be limiting air flow there. Either or both of the lower side grills (passenger side if 180hp, or both passenger and drivers side if 225hp) do however go to the vehicles intercoolers. If you bought a used OEM part you are fine. part of the outer two grills are actually blocked off with solid plastic on the outer most edges.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
If it is the center grill, no it is not an intake. However it does go to the radiator, so you will be limiting air flow there. Either or both of the lower side grills (passenger side if 180hp, or both passenger and drivers side if 225hp) do however go to the vehicles intercoolers. If you bought a used OEM part you are fine. part of the outer two grills are actually blocked off with solid plastic on the outer most edges.
Thanks.
Its the 225 lower side grills. I had just noticed that only half was blocked off by that plastic cover on the one side that still had a grill. The new side grill i bought was block off completely.