TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Lowering/brake pad Appointment confirmed....

Old 12-10-1999, 08:40 AM
Jenner

Default Lowering/brake pad Appointment confirmed....

December 17th. Heading down to Bernhards Audi Tuning in Trexlertown, PA for install of H&R springs to lower me to the Euro spec height(which is lower 1.3" front, 1.2" rear I believe[MNE has them, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). Also going to have semi-metallic pads installed on the front and rear brakes to reduce dust. I think I might go for some racing class brake fluid(ATE Super Blue) if they have it and doesn't add too much time to it.

Should be a fun day, but its going to take 4-5 hours of labor.....anyone want to join me for the trip to keep me company?! Didn't think so.....

Now I just need Caractere to get back to me about the Dual exhaust!

-Jenner
'00 180QX TT Garrett
Old 12-10-1999, 08:51 AM
mne

Go Jenner go! (nt)
Old 12-10-1999, 08:54 AM
Al Pollack

Default Hey Jen............................................... .

I thought that your TT was lowered already. Isn't that the reason you got those big honkin' speakers?? Bring a good book with you or a Playboy mag (save the pics for last). Enjoy your ttoy.

Al
99.5 1.8tqtsc "Bullwinkle"
Old 12-10-1999, 08:58 AM
H_Boy

Default I would go, wrong state though...

Anything to get into a TT : )
Old 12-10-1999, 09:04 AM
Jenner

Was I right about the heights? Mines costing lots more than yours did =( (nt)
Old 12-10-1999, 09:11 AM
mne

I was told 1.5/1.5... but I havent measured. Why more? TAP still shows em at $259. (nt)
Old 12-10-1999, 09:24 AM
Jenner

Default Info on H&R Spring heights and my costs....

Ok, I went to www.tirerack.com and they list the H&R Sport Springs as 1.3" front and 1.2" rear. I HOPE its this way, because I want the front lower than the rear. Does your nose look lower than your tail MNE? I hope so! Tirerack lists each PAIR of springs as $259 and I am getting both for $359 and you said you got all 4 for $280. I am going to bring that up before I pay my bill on Friday.

The new semi-metallic pads are costing $220 for all 4 pads. And its $300 for the labor on EVERYTHING(springs and pads).

Does this sound right? Is the labor too much? Should I complain about the difference in the price of the springs?

Also MNE, for the recall I am thinking about asking them to replace my sway-bar and shocks but not my springs, what do you think?

-Jenner
'00 180QX TT Garrett
Old 12-10-1999, 09:43 AM
mne

Default TireRack is mistaken or "gouging" H&R's MSRP is $259/4... more

Mine ran $280. with shipping for all 4. Everywhere I looked they were $259. for 4. But I didnt look at TireRack... just full-line tuner/performance shops. The front will definately be lower than the rear. And they will drop a teensie bit more after a month or so and settle out there. I dont know what you're paying for labor to install (due to brakes)but mine was $179 total, including a 4 wheel alignment (valued at $79.95). So the install was an even c-note. Took them less than 2.5 hours with alignment. And brakes shouldnt be more than 1/2 hour since the wheels are off already for the lowering. Lowering the rear takes less than 30 minutes as you dont have to compress the spring on the strut cartridge... the fronts are harder and due to spring compression, take longer. Good luck in this and I would definately say something to TireRack about their pricing. Your labor rate sounds fair if it includes an alignment. Careful of the metallic pads tho. I tried 3 different sets and went back to stock each time. They either squealed or took too much pedal effort. But thats a no-brainer you can do in an hour on your butt sitting on the ground in your garage at each wheel for fifteen minutes. Next time do that one yourself... its EASY!! I understand why this time since it would be up in the air with the wheels off. But if you find you cant live with the pads, DIY! Hold onto your stock ones!
Old 12-10-1999, 09:43 AM
Jenner

MNE are you FWD? Just called TAP. The price difference is because mines a Q.... (nt)
Old 12-10-1999, 09:46 AM
Jenner

Default Crap,I don't want brake squeal or tons of pedal effort...plus new stock pads are free from Audi...

I guess I'll tell them to forget the brake pad upgrade.

-Jenner
'00 180QX TT Garrett

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lowering/brake pad Appointment confirmed....