AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   TT (Mk1) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/tt-mk1-discussion-9/)
-   -   This may be a dumb question, but . . . (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/tt-mk1-discussion-9/may-dumb-question-but-1959247/)

Chuck 09-25-2008 10:31 AM

This may be a dumb question, but . . .

No, this isn't a noob question; I've been around for a while!

But here's the oft-heard TT tale of woe; my gas gauge needle constantly reads over what I have in the tank. When it's full, the needle sits at what appears to be a ΒΌ of a tank more than full. So, my question: can I just pull the cluster and re-set the needle?

Apparently, my car doesn't fall within the extended warranty offered by AoA. (I checked yesterday with Sonnen in Marin, which is where I purchased my car.) I'm not in the mood to spend $800 for something that I've lived with for years; it's simply not worth it to me. But I've considered swapping in a European set of dials, and if I'm going to open it up, why not just recalibrate--sorta kinda--the needle itself, assuming that I can?

scoTT la rock 09-25-2008 10:39 AM

i have the same exact problemo:

1/4 tank more full than it really is... just diagnosed by audi: "faulty cluster".

i also have my temp gauge bouncing up and down 1 tick, same thing: "faulty cluster".

in addition to that, pixels missing in center display. "faulty cluster".

i really wanna just smash this thing in frustration with a hammer, because im out of the settlement window too.

however, i do have some tricks up my sleeve to address all of this, but cannot divulge details yet.

try to sit tight for a while and get ready for my announcement- hopefully next week.

Chuck 09-25-2008 10:55 AM

Well, I guess I'm lucky that I have all my pixels (wits) about me . . .

Okay. I'll sit tight. If I did anything, I'd have to order the dials from the UK, which would take a while to arrive anyway.

tooofast 09-25-2008 12:37 PM

Re: Well, I guess I'm lucky that I have all my pixels (wits) about me . . .

I my be wrong as i am the new kid on the block but you could you not also just bend the arm that holds the float in the tank to correct this? It looks easer then pulling the cluster to me. just a thought.

bubba j 09-25-2008 12:51 PM

I'd just relabel the marks with a Sharpie. :)

Chuck 09-25-2008 02:43 PM

Well, sometimes it's the new kid on the block that comes up with the right answer. [Edited]

Let's see who else can weigh in with some input.

TTGram 09-25-2008 03:44 PM

I just go with the miles to empty. My pixels are all there.

tooofast 09-25-2008 07:34 PM

Re: Well, I guess I'm lucky that I have all my pixels (wits) about me . . .

If you want something from the UK Chuck let me know as i am flying out there next week for ten days.

Dave

Chuck 09-25-2008 09:20 PM

Thanks, Dave. I'll see if I can find a source for the dial kit and let you know.

1T42T (aka ZZ CETT) 09-26-2008 01:40 AM

Chuck!! How ya' been?