TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

misfiring cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 07:05 AM
gio

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default misfiring cylinder

I noticed my TT was stuttering in the higher gears at about 3000 RPM and 100% throttle so I hooked up my vag-com last night. It seems that cylinder 2 is misfiring under those conditions.

I've searched around the web and these forums a bit and it seems that is most likely the coil pack for that cylinder. Before I was thinking it could be my fuel pump or a clogged fuel filter since I run out of gas frequently but then I would see the misfiring in more than one cylinder, correct? Also, how can I tell which is cylinder 2?

I've also had another strange problem that started about the same time. Occasionally, when I start it up, my TT will stall within a minute or two of driving. Usually it won't start again right away and I'll have to remove the key from the ignition and put it back it and then it will restart and run fine. The check engine light doesn't go on. I haven't gotten it to happen again since I started using the vag-com again so I'm not sure if there are any new fault codes (the only old fault code I saw last night was a "low battery"). When it stalls the battery light comes on but nothing else. Once the car warms up it is fine. It happens even when it is above freezing. I've added a can of dry gas but it didn't help. I wonder if these two problems are related. (btw, I replaced the battery just a few months ago). Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 02-22-2008, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default This is great! Another stuttering joke.........

Although the punch line "how can I tell which is cylinder 2" left something to be desired.

BC
Old 02-22-2008, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I switched exclusively to Shell gas and my dying problem has all

but disappeared. Does it occasionally now, but no where near as much as before--tells me it was probably a fuel sender issue.
Old 02-22-2008, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

iirc cylinders are 1234.
Old 02-22-2008, 07:44 AM
Rest In Peace

Default fill the tank prior to going dry to avoid picking up>>>

crap in the tank.....seriously...why run it so low as to be out? Really a bad move....

Replace your fuel filter....

More than likely your coilpack could be a problem on the misfire, or your plug gaps are out....or both

Run some techron through it too.....
Old 02-22-2008, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default what "crap in the tank?"

The gas is filtered at the refinery. It's filtered as it comes off the tanker truck. It's filtered as it's pumped into the car. Finally, your car also has a fuel filter. They're likely progressively finer, due to the volumes they need to flow.

The outlet from the tanker truck is at the bottom (obviously), the only crap which comes out is the stuff which sinks. The pickup in the gas stations tank is at the bottom, so the only crap it could pick up is stuff that sinks. The pickup in the car's tank is at the bottom, so it would pick up the stuff that sinks regardless of how full/empty the tank is.

The only way the "low gas picks up crap" could be true is if floating debris somehow got into the distribution system, all the tanks along the way were being emptied, and it were finer than the filters prior to the car.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default gasoline transport is not a sealed system.

The underground tanks get old.

God knows what gets in during the filling of the storage tank, and the filling of your gas tank.

The fuel filters clog frequently on gas pumps. Ever get one that pumps really slowly?

These filters are not 100% efficient.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Have you ever left a positive post here?

Are you miserable? Based on some of your posts here I'm beginning to suspect that you are.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:57 AM
Rest In Peace

Default i have seen sediment that shows in the bottom of a gas tank>>>>

on a car after use....it happens...and the filtering process at stations and substations is better then it used to be, but not fool proof...

But my point is why tempt fate....not gonna argue the point....

why would want to run a car out of gas...i do believe that part of cooling the fuel pump is achieved by the actual fuel....so if it is dry, you would have excessive heat build up for no reason...

All in all....to me it looks more like neglect...but that is just me..
Old 02-22-2008, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'm guessing...

you're a psych major, and look up to Abigail Van Buren as a role model. **** you.

Quick Reply: misfiring cylinder