TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

MK II beats 93 Jeep Wrangler TJ hands down (on the highway anyway) (longish)

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2000, 10:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MK II beats 93 Jeep Wrangler TJ hands down (on the highway anyway) (longish)

Anyone considering the Wrangler and TT and needing a comparo look no further. THese two soft top beauties are compared below.
Jeep TJ specs
6 cyl in-line injected 180 hp or so
suspension: Leaf springs, solid axles
Tranny: 5 spd, transfer case w/low range Part time four wheel drive
Tires: 31 x 10.5x 15 BFG Mud terrains
Modifications: 3" body lift, ARB Locking rear Diff, sway bar disconnects, roll cage, 9000# winch
color: Red
Ground clearance: appx 8.5 inches

2001 TTRQ specs
225 hp quattro full time awd, etc. you all know this stuff better than me anyway.
Ground clearance ; Not a whole heck of a lot

I have had the TJ for a number of years and have made several mods to it, just like all you tuner guys with your coil overs and chips. The TJ is a 93 has a 3 inch body lift to accomodate the 31 x 10.5 x 15 BFG Mud Terrains. Sway bar disconnects for better wheel travel, ARB locking rear diff for true 3 wheel drive, roll cage, 9000# winch and other rock climbing mods. Part time 4wd not used for this test.

Basically the only good things about the jeep on the road are the howling mud terrains and the cacophony of squeeks and rattles from the solid axle leaf spring suspension. Ear plugs recommended. I have never really tested its limits on a skid pad or dry pavement but this is not something anyone is advised to do anyway. Fun to drive around town, great at the hunting property or on OHV use areas. Using the ARB Locking rear end on the dry results in some very unnatural handling conditions therefore it was not considered for this comparo.

Now the TTRQ has the factory setup, 17" Brindgestone Potenza's and off course full time all wheel drive. In my direct comparo the unmodified MK II, I found the TTRQ to be far superior to the modified Jeep in all on road handling repects (except for squeaks and tire howl), better turn in, balance, body roll etc.

Should I ever have the unfortunate eperience of taking the TTRQ off road I will report on how it compares to the Jeep, for now I will leave that for another time.

I hope these comments are helpful to anyone trying to decide between the TJ and the TTRQ. For more information please contact by e-mail.<p>jgriff,atlanta