TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

mne- do you have an after market air filter? JIM

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-1999, 12:47 PM
Jim Torongo

mne- do you have an after market air filter? JIM
Old 12-14-1999, 01:00 PM
mne

Default save your money... I tried em all... K&N, DTM, Ram Air... not ONE tenth HP increase... more

on any of them... chipped or unchipped... zero, nada, zilch, bupkus. A slurpee from 7-11 adds as much HP as ANY of them. Save the money and go for the enhanced filtration of the stock one with confidence knowing you cant do any better. Unless you wanna buy any of those I mentioned slightly used? Dont!... You'd be a fool. Have a Slurpee on me!
Old 12-14-1999, 01:19 PM
Jim Torongo

Hey thanks, were did you get the +10HP figure for Borla? GTech or form Borla's quoted specs?
Old 12-14-1999, 02:07 PM
Jenner

MNE is 100% correct. A clean stock filter gives the same performance.
Old 12-14-1999, 08:01 PM
mne

Yes Jim, G-Tech Pro. I did dyno once to check G-tech and it was 1.4HP off. Or was it the dyno??
Old 12-15-1999, 04:09 AM
Ted

Default Sorry, your missing something here.

The motor has to breath to make power. Hence, "ramming the bore" with air is accomplished by unrestricting air flow as much as possible. Getting air in (turbo) and getting air out (exhaust) is what it's all about. Not so? Look what a K&N does for a n/a engine. If you want BIG HP gains (chipping, exhaust, turbo upgrade) a free flow induction system is an important part of the program. I think you are mistaking the value of a free flow filter because you are not yet at the performance level that it matters with a horsepressure device (turbo) in near stock configuration. If these motors were n/a, everybody would be flocking to free flow filters.

MNE, you're a racer. Why am I telling you this? What race motor did you ever run (n/a, super or turbo) where this concept was not of major import? Now, don't get mad at me for this post. I just disagree. No oneupmenship intended. OK?
Old 12-15-1999, 05:05 AM
Ted

Default Pss.

In the meantime, spend $45 of your slurpee money on a free flow filter and give your turbo a break (sans does not have to work as hard) and forget about the HP. Maybe you will have one less DNF). 8-).
Old 12-15-1999, 05:13 AM
mne

Default I agree Ted... in racing it IS important, and on some street cars too... (more)

In racing you expect to rebuild motors on at least an annual or bi-annual basis, so you compromise some additional contaminants inside a motor in exchange for power. And a lot of cars I've driven on the street show a marked improvement with an aftermarket, more free-flowing air cleaner. I'm a HUGE K&N fan... used em for years on everything from go-carts to motorhomes. I ran right out and got one the day after I picked up the TT. Sounded great... lots of induction sound, but when I G-Tech'd it... no add'l ponies... none whatsoever. So I mail-odered a couple others from various advertisers here and tried them. Again, no increase in power or elapsed times. Which leads me to believe that Audi has done their homework on the induction system/paper element on this car. Now hold a brand new K&N element up to a light source and look at the huge unfiltered gaps/holes in the oiled gauze-like element and ask yourself if you really want an air filter element that allows THAT much, or THAT large a contaminant/grit/debris to pass thru it and into your motor for zero net affect. Yes... free flowing air to a motor is a good thing. But partially filtered air for negligible return is folly. The Audi TT simply does not return any benefit to an aftermarket filter element. I wish it did... I wanted it to, but alas, it does not.
Old 12-15-1999, 07:13 AM
Ted

You make a good argument. Did not consider quality of OEM.