TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

More chipping questions...

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-1999, 02:21 PM
ddev

Default More chipping questions...

The recent round of chipping discussions got me thinking...here's a few more questions I hope some of you local experts can answer. I hope you'll forgive my ignorance here!

* What exactly are the new ECU chips doing differently from the stock chips? Is it a matter of higher pressures in the turbo, optimizing the ignition system, or...?

* What are the implications of chipping on turbo/engine wear? Is Audi justified in voiding warranties for chipping?

* How does chipping affect gas mileage?

I'd love to squeeze an extra 30hp out of my TT for only $500, but it just seems too good to be true. Please tell me I'm just a pessimist!
Old 12-17-1999, 03:05 PM
greg

Default Re: More chipping questions...

To chip and not have warranty problems it's going to cost you $1,190. That gets you a new OEM ECU with a Garret Chip. With the second ECU you can swap the original one in for when you have to take it in for service. Otherwise you risking warranty coverage. Some dealers are chip friendly, but what if they have a change of heat?
Old 12-17-1999, 03:35 PM
TRW

Or an APR or Wett chip. They also offer spare options.
Old 12-17-1999, 06:12 PM
Dan

The chips will increase the turbo rpm, and increase heat at the turbo and throughout the engine. You're trading off long-term engine life, or possibly short-term destruction depending how long you hold the pedal down. Assuming one reason for buying the car is that you respect Audi engineering, why then jam in a chip with the boost limit jacked up beyond what the engine was tested at. You're paying for the extensive engine durability testing the factory conducted on the 1.8T, then throwing that away. Suggest take a look at what Audi does to get to 225hp with durability. Lastly, if you blow the engine with a chip, at least be honest and don't attempt to defraud Audi.
Old 12-17-1999, 08:40 PM
silver bullet

I have had a Garrett chip for about 3000 miles and would like to explode a few myths: 1.A chip should not adversely effect your engine's longevity...come on now, we're not talking about doubling your power or anything. What do you think Audi did to come up with 180hp from their previous 150hp version? Chipped it!...2.Why does everyone assume their dealer is just waiting to catch them with a chip? A good friend of mine worked 11 years at the local Porsche-Audi franchise and he said they only test-drove cars if asked to, and then usually with the owner in the passenger seat. There is just no reason on routine maintenance to be driving the car around. (or looking electronically for chips) 3. My experience with the Garrett chip is noticeable power increase across the board, slightly better mileage (around 27-30 mpg average with mostly highway/city driving), no underhood heat increase. The only reason I do not list my email address here is because I don't want to draw attention to myself...that is what those of you worried about warranty issues should be doing. I will be glad to answer any questions on this forum. Thanks