TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

More on H&R springs and OEM shocks...

Old 12-20-1999, 05:27 AM
Rick M

Default More on H&R springs and OEM shocks...

Every time I think I'm ready to do one of the upgrades there seems to be some sort of problem I hadn't considered. I called a local speed garage to see if they would install the H&R springs if I purchased them. They said to be very careful because usually you can't just replace the springs without replacing all other suspension parts including shocks, etc. The OEM shocks weren't designed to work with the shorter springs so you don't get the same dampening and spring rate which translates into a poorly handling car.

I know others on the site have already used the H&R springs with the OEM shocks, but they haven't had them for long. What are the chances they will have problems down the road?? I'm not sure.

Wondering if anyone has any comment on this subject.

Thanks
Old 12-20-1999, 06:13 AM
Jenner

I only have 600miles on my H&R's and they feel GREAT. MNE has had them on longer, lets ask him.....
Old 12-20-1999, 07:54 AM
mne

Default mine have over 2k on them and everythings fine... lets remember...(more)

That no aftermarket shock manufacturer makes a shock for any kind of street or OEM car that is "specifically" for a lowered car. The Bilstein catalogue will show the same part number in either H.D. (heavy duty) or S. (sport) setting on a U.S. TT as it will a euro spec car even tho they have 1.2"-1.5" different ride height. To further the credibility of "no difference" in shocks due to ride height alone is also the Audi part numbers for the U.S. v.s euro TT shocks... same part number for either tho springs have a different part number. I think as long as you're going lower, you'll always be ok. Shocks valving is the same on a car thats 1.5" lower as it is when the car is at "stock" ride-height. Shocks are not "progressive"... the rely on their spring for that dynamic. A shock has the same resistence lowered as it does at stock ride-height. It has the same dampening/rebound charecteristics on both reound and dampening as it did before the springs were changed. The only thing that changes for the shock is its travel stroke/length. Less travel translates to less friction... less friction translates to longer life. What changes is how much of the load the spring takes away from the shock. All other things being equal a stiffer spring will add longer life to a good, poor or mediocre shock absorber. Stiffer springs make a shocks life easier. As far as I know there is absolutely zero negative affect to adding a lowered spring to an existing shock absorber. But there is vast advantage to adding a better quality shock absorber to any spring.
Old 12-20-1999, 08:15 AM
Jenner

Wow! Well said and GOBS of info that I didn'
Old 12-20-1999, 08:16 AM
Jenner

(@#%^&* DAMN ENTER KEY!) didn't know about. Just makes the H&R's seem that much better!
Old 12-20-1999, 08:53 AM
Rick M

thanks again MNE!
Old 12-20-1999, 09:02 PM
Chad D

What's the deal with coil-overs???
Old 12-21-1999, 10:04 AM
Andy Hedin

Default Check your facts MNE....

While I'm no expert on suspensions, a few of the things you stated are flat-out incorrect.

<i>All other things being equal a stiffer spring will add longer life to a good, poor or mediocre shock absorber. Stiffer springs make a shocks life easier.</i>

Huh? Where do you get this info from? A stiffer spring will need more dampening from the shock in order to "control" the motions of the spring. A stiffer spring will wear out sooner a stock shock absorber. Stiffer spring rates WILL NOT make a shocks life any easier....it will in fact, bring an underdamped OEM shock to an early grave. You seem to forget that part of a shocks job is to dampen the motion of the spring. Compressing a stiffer spring (when you go over a bump) will cause the spring to "spring back" with equal force. A stock shock can't dampen this movement properly as it is outside the shocks "window of normal operation".

<i>As far as I know there is absolutely zero negative affect to adding a lowered spring to an existing shock absorber.</i>

Wrong....a stiffer shock will wear-out a stock OEM shock quicker. I'd call that a pretty big negative affect. Also, the ride motions will not be as good as a properly matched spring/shock combo would be.

<i>But there is vast advantage to adding a better quality shock absorber to any spring</i>

On this point I agree.

Andy Hedin
'97 A4 1.8Tqms, Garrett 1.0 Bar, ABT Filter, Borla Exhaust, European Headlights, more...