TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

More Press about ESP from Car & Driver web site

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-1999, 07:08 PM
DaveTT

Default More Press about ESP from Car & Driver web site

This is the 1st time I've seen anything about TT related problems from the US press. This can't be good for Audi.

http://www.caranddriver.com/FrameSet/0,1350,_sl_NewDailyInsider_sl_0_cm_1640_cm_2433_19 _cm_00,00.html
Old 10-07-1999, 07:17 PM
Cliff Melick

Default And here's the C&D news item...

AUDI TT'S HANDLING QUESTIONED
According to a story in the German magazine Stern, the Audi TT coupe has a technical problem which causes the back of the car to "swing out under braking in curves." The magazine said this has led to several accidents.

In response, Audi said it will offer TT coupe owners a stabilization method to counteract the tendency. "We're reacting to the criticism of our customers," said a spokesman for Audi.

The company will introduce a uniform stabilization method in all cars built after December, including the TT coupe. The stabilization method which the company plans to install in existing coupes is different.
Old 10-07-1999, 07:31 PM
Cliff Melick

Default So it appears Audi has some remedy in store for the tail happy "existing coupes" (more)

Personally, I think the problem lies with the drivers rather than the vehicles, and that high speed driving schools would train drivers to handle these front and all wheel drive vehicles at speed; the handling characteristcs of these cars at speed tend to be somewhat different than what an untrained driver may anticipate. But we've been here before. Remember the "unintended acceleration" issue of the Audi 5000 sedans (the one the US government was unable to replicate)? Well, I owned 5 of those 5000s, and I never put one of them through my garage door (I know someone who did, but he was over 80 years old at the time--and of course it was the fault of the car--yeah, right).
Old 10-07-1999, 07:36 PM
y2ktturbo (Ivan)

Default ok, I'm paying attention now

I cannot tell my wife this SH*t, she'll insist I park the thing until the fix comes in.

I have never had this problem and I always brake into corners from 80MPH (on particular one on the way home from work.

It's the driver.

Ivan
Old 10-07-1999, 07:57 PM
Dave G.

Default Re: And here's the C&D news item... Stern Mag Link (nt)

<ul><li><a href="http://www.stern.de/auto/berichte/webreporter/features/1999/10/07/audi_tt.html">http://www.stern.de/auto/berichte/webreporter/features/1999/10/07/audi_tt.html</a</li></ul>
Old 10-07-1999, 08:04 PM
Dave G.

Default Hmmm.... 37,000 TTs... 130mph...

Being the lucky (yes) US owner of a 180Q, I have to wonder if the high-speed tail swapping end problems reported in Europe really apply to us
drivers in US who never go over 85 miles/hour.

Also, what will be the official Audi retrofit solution for the existing (pre-Dec) TTs with quattro? ESP can't be retrofitted.

I wonder if a reprogramming of the control logic
for the Haldex unit might improve the problem.

If the Haldex would continue sending power to the
rear wheels to at least some degree with power
lift-off at high speed maybe that would help.

If the electronics know the car speed (? doh) the
algorithm for the Haldex F/R transfer could be
altered.

Being a software engineer I admit to being out
of my area of expertise here.

Only worried about resale well into the next century.

Old 10-07-1999, 08:18 PM
Cliff Melick

Default Re: Hmmm.... 37,000 TTs... 130mph...

Well, Dave, the Audi TT is fast becoming a "cult car", to quote the press. The 911 was a tail happy car, and became known as a driver's car (meaning you had to know what you were doing to properly handle it). The Audi TT may well be the next 911. I wouldn't mind that at all...I think 911s have a fine resale value. Wouldn't you agree?
Old 10-08-1999, 03:53 AM
DennyA

Default Re: What kind of remedies? Getting concerned.(more)

Car and Driver indicated that existing TTs would get a different fix. Has anyone heard what? I don'g think this will do good things for resale value. My Raven Pearl Effect Black Quattor arrived in Houston on the 28th and I'm expecting it any day. Now I'm wondering if I should wait for a December model. The problem occurs when braking in corners when going over 80 mph. You could make the argument that 80 is over the speed limit, but 80 is only 5 mph faster than 75, which is legal.
Old 10-08-1999, 04:11 AM
PeterK

Porsche had to "fix" the 911 tail wag a bit in the early 80's to reduce the oversteer too.(nt)
Old 10-08-1999, 04:30 AM
mlb

Default Free retro Fix will be available, per post above.

I'll probably have my TTQ (arrived at port in Houston on 9/23 and it isn't here yet) 10 years, so the resale probably isn't going to be impacted much by that time.

Quick Reply: More Press about ESP from Car & Driver web site