TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Move from 225 to 3.2 DSG

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Move from 225 to 3.2 DSG

Hello Everyone, I'm a long time lurker here. I made the move from a 00 VR6 GTI to a 02 TT 225 about 4 years ago now, and am considering another change. The TT has been great to me, other than 4 bad brake light sensors, I've had no problems with it! With over 100k now, it's beginning to act a little old.

I've been casually looking for a 3-4 year old used car now around 20k, and can't really justify moving away from the TT for anything other than another TT at this point. For the money, it seems like there's nothing else as flashy/sporty out there. I really miss the power of the VR6, and the DSG gearbox is sounding pretty attractive. I've never owned an automatic, but find myself hating the manual in traffic more and more frequently. I'm thinking a 05 TT 3.2 may be the way to go.

Does anyone have any experience with both cars? Is the change worth the additional 10k or so I'll end up spending? Is the gas mileage dramatically different? I've spotted this one locally (http://www.carsense.com/inventory/details.asp?vid=A22685), but the paint might be a little too loud for me. Is that dual color really a factory option?

Any insight is appreciatted, thanks!!
Old 01-25-2009, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts
Default That is a factory TTSport.

They built 99 coupes and 99 roadsters with special "1 0f 99" designation on the glove-box door. No other changes except for the black painted roof. Oddly, heated seats are not present on these cars. I have been tempted by them too. The DSG is what keeps me away. Not sure I can go there.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Actually, this is the TT Sport.

The one in his add had rear seats. The "seat delete" mod came from the TT Sport.<ul><li><a href="http://forums.streetfire.net/showthread.php?t=264">http://forums.streetfire.net/showthread.php?t=264</a</li></ul>
Old 01-25-2009, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts
Default That is the European version. We only got the black roof.

<ul><li><a href="http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=108945">http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=108945</a</li></ul>
Old 01-25-2009, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah...Ours was a Wannabe..
Old 01-25-2009, 04:16 PM

Default 3.2 is nice!

Hi, I've had an 04 3.2 TT for 15 months after having a 02 1.8T VW GTI 337 for 6 years. I miss shifting sometimes as this DSG is my first auto in my 20 years of driving.

My GTI was chipped, did 18 psi. It was like hit the gas, get pushed back in seat. Push in clutch get thrown forward, then back again after boost kicks in. DSG is just go go go so much smoother ride. Some people riding in my 337 would get scared and it was fun rowing the gears.

The 3.2 sucks up gas. I've spent so much effort trying to get good mileage but just doesn't pay off. Like today I drive mostly freeway, have over 25 mpg avg on comp. Then some bozo G35 yuppy annoys me so I smoke him 0 to 80...but then look and my mpg avg went down to 22 in just a few seconds...dohh...

Either car is fun. No complaints for the change, my 337 got 23-25 mpg no matter what. My 3.2 gets 18 to 23 avg. 3.2 sounds great.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default First off, stay away from the Special Edition TT's...

They came with no Heated Seats, Bose/CD Changer and Homelink. Unless of course you don't care about those options.

But I went from a 2004 3.2 Coupe to a 2002 ALMS TT. I sold the 3.2 because the Audi mechanic forgot to put something back after performing scheduled maintenance and it ended up breaking something and that something broke something else and caused a series of problems. So I made the switch to another TT, but this time I went for the ALMS with the 225 1.8 engine. I for one missed the VR6 and DSG since day one. Well at least since the first time I drove the ALMS in traffic that is. I don't care what they say...the fun of shifting the gears your self is lame when it comes to traffic. But the DSG will bore some people but it spoils so many others. I ended up trading selling the ALMS to a co-worker and got a much more practical car for where I'm at right now. I have been waiting for the opportunity to get back into my 3rd Audi TT (going for a 2006 3.2 Coupe - not the Special Edition - with the right options and color combination) but as I mentioned before the car that I have now is much too practical to give up.

If you have not test driven a 3.2 TT with DSG, do it. Try to get a spirited sales person so you can feel the difference when you not only push the VR6, but the DSG as well. You will notice that the 225 feels faster because of the turbo kicking in (at least mine did as it had an APR chip) but the VR6 is much smoother and it sounds awesome. You'll get about 28 mpg highway going 60 mph on the freeway. I got anywhere between 27.5 - 28.7 mpg on the same 330 highway trip and that was calculated at the pump. Oh and with the 3.2 engine I never had to worry about a time bomb...a.k.a. timing belt. Hope this helps.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

and i thought special edition meant fully loaded if not with extras and not a stripped down variant!
Old 01-26-2009, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Have owned my 3.2 for almost 3 years . . .

Came from a 225. Also owned an '04 R32 for a brief time, which is why I sought out the 3.2. If you're not into modding, as I am not, the 3.2 is a stronger engine out of the box. Abundant torque from the get-go, and a stirring exhaust note as well. Mostly I drive in automated mode. When you move to manual mode, the throttle response seems to quicken, which is an added benefit. Yes, gas mileage is a disappointment. 19-21 in city, stop-and-go (depending on outside temp), 28-29 on extended highway trips. I'm not in love with the DSG, but accept it for the engine. Generally, I feel the DSG upshifts way too early (probably for the sake of fuel efficiency), and can be a real sluggard when cornering at low speed (slow to downshift as you turn). Another 3.2 owner said his strategy is to keep the momentum up with the DSG and it makes sense. There are some suspension quirks to be aware of. The car sits 10mm higher than other TTs to provide clearance for the engine sump. This past summer, I replaced the OEM struts/shocks at 45k with Koni Sports, thinking that the simplest setup would be the best (gas-pressure shocks, like Bilsteins, can jack the car up even higher, and perch height problems have been reported with the Koni FSD struts). Six months later, I'm not liking the Koni Sports very much (actually, the disaffection set in at about six weeks!). Too much float, even with the shocks at a stiffer setting, which then makes them too harsh. I know this is heresy, but if I had to do it over again I'd just get a new set of OEM struts/shocks. Probably better matched to the weight of the engine and the car's ride height, unless you want to get into coil-overs and the attendant complications with camber.

Overall, in my opinion, the 3.2 is the best Mk1 TT for the driver who wants to enjoy the TT "as is."
Old 01-26-2009, 06:24 AM
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default based on all your concerns...the biggest culprit sounds like you're just getting too old.

the 3.2 is not that loud!

Quick Reply: Move from 225 to 3.2 DSG