TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

My adventure back from Denny's . . .

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2000, 02:48 PM
Elder Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My adventure back from Denny's . . .

I got home from CT a few hours ago. The roads were pretty clean from Denny's house into NY, across the Throgs Neck Bridge and all of the way to my exit off the Southern State Parkway.

Then the adventure began!

I get off exit 17 South and the road is usually 2 lanes in each direction with a center turning lane. The turning lane is gone, each direction has barely a single lane moving north and south! We are just crawling. I was not in the mood to wait behind all of these cars so I figured driving in the traffic through 4-6" of snow was a pain and too darn slow at 10mph. I went for the right lane!

This lane was barely plowed and 10+" deep. I just drove on through and passed all of the sedans and SUV's in the line of cars. A few 4x4's decided to follow me and then a car jumped in front of them and got stuck! This was FUN.

I loved the Quattro last winter and was just eating it up this winter!

I could not believe that Long Island seemed as though it was never plowed today. CT was clear and the roads I was on in Denny's neighborhood were dry. The roads I saw from the Merrit Parkway were also plowed and dry. As soon as I get to the side streets in Nassau County I just knew it would be a nightmare . . . and it was.

Even when I was driving in the "clean" lane, my car was still shaving off 2-4" of snow that the car was straddling. I followed a GMC Tahoe around an accident via some side streets and he was very surprised by the look on his face to see me right on his *** through the snow we were going through. We get back to the main road and he gets right back into line! I stayed in the middle and right lanes making my own path through some snow that was deeper than 10". How do I know it was this deep? My entire lower grille was covered and it was packed inside. I was watching the clouds of snow bursting into the air as I drove through it! That Tahoe tried to follow me and keep up and was fish-tialing everywhere! He was still in 2wd! Idiot

When I got home I had to move my Mom's car and take my truck and create 3 spots to park the cars in. I use the truck in 4 wheel low to flatten all of the snow out for us to park on. Much easier than shoveling it.
Old 12-31-2000, 05:14 PM

A blast working off that hangover, huh.? ;-^)
Old 12-31-2000, 05:34 PM
Elder Member

Default no hangover . . .~5 hours sleep clears the mind right up! lol

Glad you enjoyed our bit of fun in the sun, I mean snow
Old 12-31-2000, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I doubt it, Brad. Larry doesn't drink much...

Happy New Year to you and yours, buddy...and remember, I'll be in New orleans 10 months from now. We need to get together for a Mr. B's Bistro or a Commander's Palace dinner.
Old 12-31-2000, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the upshot here......doesn't really take much to get him lit:-)
Old 12-31-2000, 05:51 PM
Elder Member

I didn't have too much on Friday, but did have a bit last night!
Old 12-31-2000, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Nice to see you're home, Jake...

Happy New Year to you, Sharon and Pete...may 2001 be a very good year for you all. And BTW...where is my late model 930? And...happy anniversary to Sharon and Pete!
Old 12-31-2000, 06:46 PM

And a Happy One to you and Evi also....and to ALL on TT forum...peace, prosperity & safe driving :-)
Old 12-31-2000, 10:59 PM
Elder Member

Jason and I plead guilty...we only corrupted him a teensy bit!
Old 12-31-2000, 11:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I have never corrupted anyone! It's not in me to do such a thing.

Quick Reply: My adventure back from Denny's . . .