TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

My Chip Experience (long)

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Chip Experience (long)

I headed down to ECS Tuning yesterday afternoon to have them upgrade my ECU software. Initially, APR had agreed to honor the "Buy one, get one" pricing they'd told me about during Water Fest. To say the least, I was enthusiastic about that. My intentions were to run the stock and 93 options.

Things took a turn however when it was discovered that I was only able to support one program on my ECU. They offered to pull the ECU and make the necessary changes to support multiple programs, but as I'm still on CPO, I had to decline. Instead, I decided upon the 93 and anti-theft options. During the course of learning how to operate the anti-theft, I came to understand that it wasn't an "always on" system. Basically I'd have to lock the chip manually every time. I was used to an older system I had which would basically lock itself after 3 minutes of turning the car off, AKA "No thought process involved". This was a complicated process which I knew I'd eventually abandon due to its inconvenience. Basically, I'm running the program which the car would have spent 99% of the time in anyway. I don't use anything less than 93 octane, I don't race a track, and the concept of letting someone else drive her is nonexistent in my world. Paul and Mike at ECS are VERY knowledgeable, I recommend contacting them with any questions you may have.

It would seem that the engine has expanded into a slightly larger dimension of power. In addition to this, there's a harder edge in the DV venting and better boost recovery, almost a chuff rather than a whoosh. I suspect that I'll need to install a permanent boost gauge before tweaking the BM. (Currently running fully opened) First gear is unchanged save for the fuller feel of the engine, it goes by quick. Low end power really hasn't improved, which was ok, I didn't expect it to. Second appears to have adopted Third gear's ability to develop and maintain boost, where Third gear now appears as aggressive as fourth used to be. Third and Fourth gears have always been my favorites on the TT, even more so to date. I was aware that the major gains would occur during the onset of boost, and they were readily apparent with the first entry on to the freeway. "Roadrunner Thrust Move" was the first thought that came to mind. I managed to hit 90mph on this large cloverleaf and would probably been good for 105 if I hadn't looked at the speedometer and decided "stupid". Formerly, removing my foot from the pedal would cause the DV to vent, but it maintained the boost instead, making deceleration via throttle a bit slower than before.

Fifth gear now seems to deliver in a more refined, more powerful manner. Prior to this upgrade, I've been notorious for dropping from into 4th to get the jump on traffic. I don't believe that's as necessary now that the extra power is available. I found myself torturing a blonde in a 325i by speeding up just enough to prevent her from passing me on the right. This lasted for about 6 miles and was amusing to say the least. As I tend to navigate traffic in 6th gear, the added acceleration power was helpful in keeping my foot off the clutch.

Needless to say, I'm happy with the improvements. I want to say thanks to those who have endured my "Which Chip?" questions and also to all who've contributed to my indecision over this purchase. It would appear that the ECU upgrade, regardless of which brand, is all it's cracked up to be.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Next stop.....the sign post up ahead.....read.....

BOOST GAUGE
Old 09-07-2006, 08:27 AM

Default I prefer the Gizoogle version.

I heezeeed down ta ECS Spendin' yesterday afternoon ta have thiznem upgrade mah ECU software. Initially, APR had agreed ta honor tha "Buy one, git one" pric'n they'd told me `bout dur'n Playa F-to-tha-izzest . Slap your ***** ****in self. To say tha least, I was enthusiastic `bout that. My intentions wizzy ta run tha stock n 93 options.

Rhymin' tizzle a T-to-tha-izzurn poser when it was discovered tizzy I was only able ta support one program on mah ECU. They offered ta piznull tha ECU n makes tha necessary changes ta support multiple programs, but as I'm S-T-to-tha-izzill on CPO, I had ta decline . Slap your ***** ****in self. Instead, I decided upon tha 93 n anti-theft options . Drop it like its hot. Dur'n tha course of learn'n how ta operate tha anti-theft, I came ta understand T-H-to-tha-izzat it wasn't an "always on" system upside yo head. Basically I'd have ta lock tha chizzip manually every time. I was used ta an baller system I had W-H-to-tha-izzich would basically lock itself afta 3 minutes of turn'n tha ride off, AKA "No thought process involved" . Aint no killin' everybodys chillin'. This was a complicated process which I kniznew I'd eventually abandon due ta its inconvenience. Basically, I'm runn'n tha program W-H-to-tha-izzich tha ride would have spent 99% of tha time in anyway n ****. I don't use anyth'n less thizzay 93 octane, I dizzay race a track, n tha concept of lett'n someone else drive her is nonexizzles in mah world . Ill slap tha taste out yo mouf. Paul n Mizzy at ECS is VERY knowledgizzles I recommend cruisin' tizzle wit any questions you may have.

It would seem tizzy tha engine has expanded into a slightly brotha dimension of rappa. In addition ta thiznis, there's a harda edge in tha DV vent'n n killa boost recovizzles almost a chizzay drug deala than a whoosh . I'm a ***** ****in 2-time felon.. I suspect that I'll need ta install a permanent boost gauge before tweak'n tha BM . Im crazy, you can't phase me. (Currently cruisin' F-U-Double-Lizzy opened) Fiznirst gear is unchanged save fo` tha fulla fizzle of tha engine, it goes by quick . Aint no killin' everybodys chillin'. Low end powa really hasn't improved, which was ok, I didn't expect it to ya dig?. Second appears ta have adopted Third gear's ability ta develop n maintain boost, where Third gear now appears as aggressive as fourth used ta be upside yo head. Third n Fourth gears have always bizzy mah favorizzles on tha TT, even more so ta dizzle fo' sheezy. I was aware thizzat tha major gains would occur dur'n tha onset of boost, n tizzle were readily apparent wit tha first entry on ta tha freeway ya feelin' me?. "Roadrunna Thrust Move" was tha first thought that came ta mind . They call me tha black folks president. I managed ta hit 90mph on this large cloverleaf n would probably bizzle good fo` 105 if I hadn't looked at tha baller n decided "stupid". Formerly, mackin' mah foot frizzay tha pedal would cause tha DV ta vent, but it maintained tha boost instead, mak'n decelerizzles via throttle a bit wanna be gangsta thiznan before with my forty-fo' mag.

Fizzay gear now seems ta deliva in a mizzle refined, mizzle powerful hustla. Prior ta this upgrade, I've bizzle notorious fo` dropp'n from into 4th ta git tha jump on traffic. I don't believe that's as necessary now that tha extra powa is available. I found me cruisin' a blonde in a 325i by speed'n up jizzle enough ta prevent her from pass'n me on tha right gangsta style. This lasted fo` `bout 6 miles n was frontin' ta say tha least . Its just anotha homocide. As I tend ta navigate traffic in 6th gear, tha added accelizzles mother****a was helpful in messin' mah fizzy off tha clutch.

Needless ta say, I'm stoked wit tha improvements ridin' in mah double R. I wiznant ta say thanks ta those who have endured mah "Which Chip?" questions n also ta all who've contributed ta mah indecision over this purchase . know what im sayin?. It would appear T-H-to-tha-izzat tha ECU upgrade, regardless of which brand, is all it's cracked up ta be n ****.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Much, much, clearer :-)
Old 09-07-2006, 08:37 AM

Default I got the whole package at APR HQ. Im on CPO but...

they actually took off the tamper resistant screws, soldered on the memory, and replaced old with new tamper resist screws that they got from the dealership down the street.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I didn't know I had it in me!
Old 09-07-2006, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

LMFAO
Old 09-07-2006, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

way funny!