TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

My first 3000 miles were capped off with a round trip to San Francisco

Old 11-26-2003, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first 3000 miles were capped off with a round trip to San Francisco

HI all. Just wanted to share some thoughts..
It was a great ride...no mechanical trouble to speak off except for the shelf rattle. I got to fix that. I left L.A. at 4am and missed rush hour traffic; took 101 all the way to NoCal. It was cold enough that I saw the snow flake for the first time on the cluster; 38 degrees F. The car ran like a dream in the cold air. Swooosh! is all I can say. I ran into the law man one time. Or, he ran into me. Just outside of Paso Robles, 8:30am, not a donut shop around, I was alone in lane one of the 2 lane 101 when I noticed a fast approaching, black colored, stealth looking vehicle. He ran right up against my tail and hung there till I changed lanes. As he passes by, I saw the star shield of Highway Patrol. He looks at me through his black colored sun glasses; doesn't make any motions and hung beside my car for what seemed like 10 minutes. Then, as soon as he finishes sizing me up, he guns it down the highway for other prey. Like a shark he was. The bastard was trying to intimidate me. Thank God I was only doing 65mph in what turned out to be a posted 70mph just outside of the city limits. I thought he was going to get me speeding. My reasoning he was trying to rattle me: he had plenty of room to pass on slow lane but he chose not too. All in all, no traffic violations and the engine did not use 1 drop of oil and I'm running Mobil 1 (5w-30). I even managed not to get any parking tickets in San Fran. Hard to do since parking is at a premium there. You New Yorkers know what I'm talking about. Some vital signs:
Avg speed: 72.5 mph
fuel: 27.09 mpg
fastest run: 115mph
Stone chips: none (thank you 3m clear bra)
TT's spotted: 3 (2 silver, 1 black)in 1,047 miles round trip
elapse time 5.5 hours. One way
Old 11-26-2003, 09:52 AM

Default Re: My first 3000 miles were capped off with a round trip to San Francisco

ColTTrane wrote: My reasoning he was trying to rattle me: he had plenty of room to pass on slow lane but he chose not too. Man, I though he was going to pull me over.

hey blueHair, get outa the passing lane!

there *oughta* be a law against slow-pokes like
you not yeilding to faster traffic!

next time, take hwy 1, where you can tool along
behind a 'bago or two...

hugs! - al.
Old 11-26-2003, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default when a stealthy lookin car zooms up against your **** you betta

slow down. Plus I got a ticket once for doing 65 in a 55. I was all alone, not a car around. It was just inside the city limit. Now, no matter what lane I am in I slow to the speed limit when I am inside the city limits.
Old 11-26-2003, 10:00 AM

Default Re: when a stealthy lookin car zooms up against your **** you betta

> slow down.

and move over...
Old 11-26-2003, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default you must be

cop but not necessarily a bastard
Old 11-26-2003, 10:18 AM

Default Re: you must be

nah, just the grumpy old guy that gets stuck
behind those that don't belong in the 'fast lane'

incidentally, i'm only here cause i'm shopping for
a new ragtop (big thanks to you guys, cause this
forum is a wealth of info!), but i'm currently
driving an old toyota minivan - so the cops don't
even see me!

if i end up with a red TT, i'll be forced to slow
down - bound to be a cop-magnet!

- al.
Old 11-26-2003, 10:23 AM

I'm usually in too big a hurry to take the long way (101) take the (5) at 100 mph
Old 11-26-2003, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: you must be

You see, i had a feeling it was a highway patrol cruiser. I didn't want to draw attention to myself, albeit very hard to do in a red TT, so I stayed in lane 1. I guess I made him mad but had no intention of doing so. I didn't want to panic and slam on brakes or jump lanes. I have to admit to a little highway hipnosis though. I can still hear my friend exclaim "Bear" the last time i got a ticket. I hate speeding tickets. I am sure, if you see a red TT and see it yield, it's probably me. I unlike a lot of California drivers do know how to share the road. But, when there are no cars around yielding is the last thing on ones mind.
Maurice
Old 11-26-2003, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: I'm usually in too big a hurry to take the long way (101) take the (5) at 100 mph

yes, my trip is about 58 more miles...I was in no hurry...i got to speed up over 100mph with no cars around. How long can you sustain 100mph? on the 5?
Old 11-26-2003, 10:39 AM

I usuall drive 100 mph on (5) for a long time. 30-40 minutes at a time until I hit traffic pockets

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My first 3000 miles were capped off with a round trip to San Francisco