TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

My thoughts exactly. Article: Future makes Audi TT lovers more than a little nervous

Old 09-13-2002, 07:19 AM
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My thoughts exactly. Article: Future makes Audi TT lovers more than a little nervous

Copyright 2002 CanWest Interactive, a division of
CanWest Global Communications Corp.
All Rights Reserved
The Vancouver Province

September 13, 2002 Friday Final Edition

SECTION: Cars & Trucks; Pg. D15

LENGTH: 214 words

HEADLINE: Future makes Audi TT lovers more than a little nervous

SOURCE: Southam Newspapers

BYLINE: Robert Bostelaar

DATELINE: OTTAWA

BODY:
OTTAWA -- The AutoWeek 2002 Strategic Buying Guide suggests Audi's TT coupe and roadster will be due for a redesign in a year or two, "if (the) company decides to continue them."

For the many of us who savour each TT sighting, it's hard to say which prospect is more disturbing. No TT at all would mean the absence -- of new editions at least -- of one of the most vital designs of the last decade.

Yet how could a restyled TT be anything but anticlimactic next to the sensual lines of the original? Look at the curve of nose and tail, a perfect match for the raised wheel arches that frame the tires. Examine the round shoulders of the fenders, and the gentle arch of roofline. The TT has to be the sexiest set of semicircles on wheels.

But its beauty runs deeper. The intimate cockpit of the TT is a tactile buffet of aluminum, stainless steel and leather, the latter, in our American Le Mans Series test car, dyed a rich, Victoria's Secret shade of red.

The handling is as poised as the appearance promises, though the TT, which shares its front-engine platform with the Volkswagen Golf and Beetle, is a bit too nose-heavy to run with the sportier Porsche Boxster.

And power, particularly in the turbocharged and intercooled version, is generous. Often surprisingly so.

LOAD-DATE: September 13, 2002
Old 09-13-2002, 07:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great quote from the article: "The TT has to be the sexiest set of semicircles on wheels"

Howdy, Denny!
Old 09-13-2002, 07:27 AM

Default I'd be more okay with no TT than with a redesign unless its a BAD redesign - then I'm ok....

because - if there is not TT - we have an instant classic.

If the new TT is BAD - then we have a more desirable TT.

If the new design is good.... then life sucks.

If its the same design - but a new size and engine - i.e. in line 5 or 6 in a larger wheelbase but with same overall proportions and style - then I could see there being competition as well - but I might trade mine in for it.

But - I do believe they may be discontinued. I don't think the volumes are high enough for a VW type company - the A4 was more popular - and depending on how the A4 cabrio sells - we will see...
Old 09-13-2002, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Awwww, He's not exactly on track. I play with Boxters all the time, and have even spanked an>>

S or two while hunting. But, it wouldn't kill me if they discoutinued them all together. Just makes em a little more exclusive. Look at some of BMW's better efforts over the years. Ie. the M5 and M-Coupe. Sometimes extinction is a good thing. IMHO.
Old 09-13-2002, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yes, I'm sure all of the recall activity has cut into Audi's margin on these cars.
Old 09-13-2002, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default With Audi's styling lately I don't think they can screw it up

ie they barely made any styling changes to the 03 model and after 3 yrs most cars get a more dramatic facelift than a new grille and new wheels.

Audi may be dumb on the CS side but they are smart (much smarter than BMer esp as of late) on the styling side. They are often set as the benchmark of styling (esp interior) standards.

No, audi will probably only make this car look better imo, how? By leaving it alone and developing a more expensive pure-sports car.
Old 09-13-2002, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default wohooo.. there is hope..

I hope the next one looks nothing like this one..
Old 09-13-2002, 07:42 AM
Eighth Member of AudiWorld. God-like, glorious and all-knowing.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: My thoughts exactly. Article: Future makes Audi TT lovers more than a little nervous

"And power, particularly in the turbocharged and intercooled version, is generous. Often surprisingly so."

I agree. Pity those unfortunate TT owners without the turbo and intercoolers! ;-)
Old 09-13-2002, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

My thoughts exactly...the less the better....
Old 09-13-2002, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that made me laugh.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My thoughts exactly. Article: Future makes Audi TT lovers more than a little nervous