TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

new to audi, looking for answers

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to audi, looking for answers

hey,

im new to the audi scene. ive had years of experience with awd sports cars and now ive decided to make the switch to a tt.
Im looking to buy a 2003-2004 tt 225hp 6pd quattro.

ive been scouring forums for some answers but have not found very many as of yet. Im looking for any info regarding problems or issues i should look for within this year range, as well as info regarding how often i need to service this vehicle.
I am also looking for a coupe vs roadster comparison to know about the pros and cons of each.
keep in mind that i do live in toronto, canada and our winters here are quite harsh with cold weather, snow and ice etc.. so i would also like to hear if the roasters soft top will hold up to our winters or not.(does the top hold a good seal with windshield and windows? are there any drafts? etc...)

sorry for all the scattered questions but any answers will be gladly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Lorenzo
Old 08-22-2010, 11:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by slowtt
hey,

im new to the audi scene. ive had years of experience with awd sports cars and now ive decided to make the switch to a tt.
Im looking to buy a 2003-2004 tt 225hp 6pd quattro.

ive been scouring forums for some answers but have not found very many as of yet. Im looking for any info regarding problems or issues i should look for within this year range, as well as info regarding how often i need to service this vehicle.
I am also looking for a coupe vs roadster comparison to know about the pros and cons of each.
keep in mind that i do live in toronto, canada and our winters here are quite harsh with cold weather, snow and ice etc.. so i would also like to hear if the roasters soft top will hold up to our winters or not.(does the top hold a good seal with windshield and windows? are there any drafts? etc...)

sorry for all the scattered questions but any answers will be gladly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Lorenzo
1) make sure your recall work was done.
2) make sure the 40k mile service was done
3) if you are around 70k miles, make DAMN sure your timing belt is changed out and water pump got replaced with a metal impeller.
4) make sure the gauge cluster is in good working condition. Fuel sender relay seems to have issues in audis
Old 08-23-2010, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by haverty
1) make sure your recall work was done.
2) make sure the 40k mile service was done
3) if you are around 70k miles, make DAMN sure your timing belt is changed out and water pump got replaced with a metal impeller.
4) make sure the gauge cluster is in good working condition. Fuel sender relay seems to have issues in audis

2nd what haverty said.

1. The main recalls were the cluster and coil packs, some cars were recalled more than once.
3. There was a recall on the timing belt but it was just a check, if you don't have it in writing it needs to be changed or boom.
4. There are two fuel senders in a Quattro. Compare the mile to empty to the fuel gauge. If they agree and the gauge is not moving it's one of the senders.

I have a coupe however I believe the rear window falls out on the roadster. Some people have been able to reglue it with limited success.

The clutches last a long time but the slave cylinders can leak. Unfortunately that means a complete replacement including the very expensive dual mass flywheel.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I live in MN and have a 2002 roadster and a 2001 coupe and also drove a 2004 3.2 with DSG from 2006-2008. The coupe is great for a daily driver due to having a lot of room in it and is quieter.

I have had no problems with my 2002 roadster other than replacing the cluster which almost all TT's have had replaced and the after run water pump which was no bit deal and my top after 8 years looks brand new. The roadster is plenty warm in the winter though is quite a bit loader than the coupe as most roadsters are.

I drove the roadster year round until last winter (winter tires wore out) and now at 70k I have turned it into a summer only car due to having a winter car. They handle great in snow though tend to plow above 4 inches of snow (I have driven though 8" with no issues). There is an after market blue haldex controller that inproves handling in snow a lot though they are quite expensive.

Good luck
Old 08-25-2010, 10:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

thanks for the info everyone. I will most likely be going with a coupe, hopefully a low mileage 04 unless i get a super sweet deal on a semi low mileage 03
Old 08-25-2010, 10:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

are there any changes between the 03 and 04 model years?
Old 08-26-2010, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

can anyone give me a ballpark figure on how much it would cost to replace the softtop on a 2005 roadster?