TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

New cluster - new problem. Don't think its bad cluster tho - please read

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2002, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New cluster - new problem. Don't think its bad cluster tho - please read

My cluster problem was the speedo and tach. Dead. They replaced cluster today and as i left i noticed the stereo was on safe mode. They punched a code into the stereo and all seemed good. Then I noticed the stereo info wasnt showing on my display plus the stereo now stays ON when the car is turned off. It is also brighter than usual. Everything else works perfectly.

The mechanic said when they installed the cluster the 'audi-techline' gives them a code to use for the cluster and thats what they use to 'activate' it i guess. It seems to me that when they replaced the cluster they just somehow connected the stereo wrong or used a 'code' that was for the wrong stereo or something. Thing is I installed my own stereo on another car years ago and i know you can wire the power 2 different ways - to be on only when the ignition is on or to be directly connected to the battery which is how it is now and shouldn't be.

I dont know the specifics involved with changing the cluster - whether there are separate connections for the stereo, whether the stereo even enters into the picture, whether there are, indeed, different codes that have the software do different things. I'm surely no mechanic. But my common sense tells me its just something specific to the stereo and should be easily fixed with a new code or connection change. So rather than leave the car another day I made an appointment to return when their best audi tech is back from vacation on monday.

Any/many thoughts would be appreciated. The 11/15 fuse reseat didn't work...

Thanks...
Old 08-06-2002, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I was gonna suggest pulling the fuse for 10 secs, but looks like you already dun that...

Your description sounds exactly like mine when I ran a VAG-COM scan of the radio controller and disabled it. Pulling the fuse brought it right back to normal. Good luck with it!

Dan