TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

New, and extremely happy, owner of a 2002 Blue 225 HP Coupe with a ?? on Instrument lighting

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New, and extremely happy, owner of a 2002 Blue 225 HP Coupe with a ?? on Instrument lighting

I have looked over this, and other forums, and cannot find any information on the lighting of the instrument panel during daytime operation, i.e. without the lights on. I cannot believe that all of you are happy driving around without being able to see the instruments in the daytime. Maybe it's just me, but I cannot see them. All I can see are the red arms on the gauges, but the numbers and details are not visible. Granted, I drive with polarized sunglasses on and this really exacerbates (not bad fo a guy from AL) the problem.

A note of reference since I am new to this forum, and to Audis in general, I just drove it down to the APR folks in Auburn (I live in Huntsville) and had them install their 93 Octane Chip. All I can say is AWESOME. This TT is really a fun car to drive. I traded in a 2004 RX-8 for it and I don't miss it at all (well maybe the 9500 RPM). I've owned a Ferrari, a Maserati, a 300ZX and various Alfas and Triumphs over the years. I guess you would say that I'm an old f*rt who loves cars, and I do love this TT.

I sure would appreciate any info on the instrument light problem. By the way, I also have the rear hatch light problem (no light but the bulbs & fuses are OK) but I did find a post by another newbie and he was told to look at the switch which is in with the latch mechanism. I'm going out right now to check it out.

Thank y'all
Old 03-01-2006, 08:55 AM

Glad you happy with your purchase!!! Is that gauge face that's in there black with white lettering?
Old 03-01-2006, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Welcome....and get new glasses!

Nobody has had an issue here....suspect the polarized glasses....They mess up my ability to see things too and I hate to wear them when I drive for that reason...

Good choice on chips! The fun is just beginning. These cars are very responsive to mods!
Old 03-01-2006, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Congrats! I think the cluster lights stay on all the time on my car. Have you tried adjusting

the dimmer switch? I have a Canadian car so things might be a little different.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Welcome....and get new glasses!

I can't get new ones. These are prescription and I am very sensitive to bright light (must be my age) so I need the polarizing to cut out the glare. The unlit instrument cluster is the problem. When I turn on the headlights (or parking lights) in the daytime then the instruments light up and I have no problem seeing them. All other cars that I've owned with an instrument dimmer had the ability to turn on the lights at the top end of their brightness travel. The Audi does not have that feature. Is there an aftermarket swith that could turm them on. I don't want to drive around in the daytime with my lights on (I'm not Canadian).
Old 03-01-2006, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Congrats and welcome! AFAIK, illuminated needles were introduced during model year 2002...

...for daylight driving, but not for any other panel or gauge unless you have the driving lights or headlamps on. Prior to 2002, there was no daytime instrument illumination.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Yes they are. Both the speedometer and the tach,

As well as all of the other gauges like the temp & fuel. They are all black with faint white lettering.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:11 AM

hmm - I didn't know if someone put an aftermarket insert in there on you - doesn't sound like it
Old 03-01-2006, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default The problem might only be mine then.

The dimmer switch adjusts both the red needle intensity as well as the numerals WHEN the lights are on. With the lights off, the dimmer switch ONLY adjusts the needles and the numerals are dead. You do have DRLs on your Canadian car and maybe, just maybe, that may be the difference.

What say youse guys out there.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:14 AM

I'm sure you could wire it to automatically turn on when the car is running

Quick Reply: New, and extremely happy, owner of a 2002 Blue 225 HP Coupe with a ?? on Instrument lighting