New Headlights - AudiWorld Forums

TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

New Headlights

Old 10-09-2017, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default New Headlights

Someone have any good ideas regarding replacement of headlights. Plug and Play available? 2002 TT is what we are driving. I know there are probably hundreds of conversations on this but Imhoping someone doesn't mind my being lazy. Thanks in Advance

John
Old 12-24-2018, 12:34 PM
SGP
AudiWorld Member

I also have a 2002 TT and would like to upgrade the low beams. What did you end up doing? Thanks - [email protected].
Old 12-31-2018, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

No one replied. I see the headlights on ebay but they cost a few dollars so until I get some feedback, I'll keep looking.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Headlight
Old 02-10-2019, 11:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I spent some time looking into this. What are you trying to upgrade... the bulbs or the whole headlight units? Do you currently have the Xenons or the Halogens? If it's just the low beams - just upgrade the bulbs or get new ones. If the whole unit, you can't 'plug & play' between Halogens & Xenons... although that should be possible if you are willing to go into the wiring diagrams and trace all the wiring and components down for each type. Be nice if someone knowledgeable could write a FAQ on how to downgrade Xenons to Halogens units.

Last edited by JoeKan; 02-10-2019 at 11:33 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JoeKan View Post
I spent some time looking into this. What are you trying to upgrade... the bulbs or the whole headlight units? Do you currently have the Xenons or the Halogens? If it's just the low beams - just upgrade the bulbs or get new ones. If the whole unit, you can't 'plug & play' between Halogens & Xenons... although that should be possible if you are willing to go into the wiring diagrams and trace all the wiring and components down for each type. Be nice if someone knowledgeable could write a FAQ on how to downgrade Xenons to Halogens units.
Right. Well I have whatever came with the car. I have replaced the current low beams and they work great. But the whole plastic face of the light is worn out.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ahhh... You should have said that in the first place. Search for "Restore Headlights Audi TT" on YouTube and you get a bunch of videos on how to polish the lenses - using either a kit or just various grades of sandpaper and liquid laquer. This one is particularly interesting:

Just to say it... Go to a wrecker yard and buy a $5 old/junk headlight to practise on first though - you don't want your TT headlight to be the first try.

After your done, apply a PPF film to the headlight to protect it after polishing. (PPF = Paint Protection Film - preferably the thicker kind to minimize impact damage)

BTW - if you don't know what you have for headlight type - how do you know what bulbs to replace? Most/All 225s came with Xenons, but there's plenty of 180s with Xenons as well. If your headlights have ballasts, you probably have Xenons. If you replaced the low beams, then you probably have Halogens, as the Xenons have D2S bulbs which are pricey.

Last edited by JoeKan; 02-11-2019 at 07:31 AM.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by JoeKan View Post
as the Xenons have D2S bulbs which are pricey.
Don't race to the bottom and buy the cheapest D2S lamps on Amazon. They will barely last two years with poor output after year one. Buy genuine Osram from a legit retailer. You get what you pay for. Plus if you determine it is a phony knock-off, you have recourse from a legitimate retailer.

Osram's website has information how to determine if a lamp is genuine or a counterfeit.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: